Thread: Larry Warford
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
I think any multi-year deal is problematic right now due to the uncertainty surrounding the 2021 salary cap.

If all regular season and playoff games are played this season without fans at the stadium, the projected salary cap could drop by 25 to 30%....that means the salary cap could decrease to about 140 million in that scenario. The Colts are in relatively good shape with respect to the 2021 cap right now.....however, there are several players due a contract extension next year along with whatever the Colts decide to do with the QB position.

I'm sure the players union and owners will sit down and try to negotiate an alternate arrangement for 2021 and beyond - a few ideas have already been floated to the media - but until the 2021 situation is resolved, I doubt many teams will be looking to add a lot of guaranteed money commitments to their 2021 cap number.
I don’t see how the cap could go down and the league function as well as it has. Players will expect an increase or at least same dollars for their level of play and teams that are over the new cap would be heavily impacted. I think we will see the cap frozen at 2020 levels with the understanding that this is a temporary situation that is not intended to set any precedent.

Last edited by Racehorse; 05-18-2020 at 10:27 PM.