View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Another thing about Smith, they ran a lot of RPO at Auburn and he is great at blocking for it. We will see in incorporated into our O. I wonder who the three tech is? Ridgeway, Johnson, Autry or Lewis?
Looking at the D-Line bodies the way I see it:

NT = Al Woods, Grover Stewart
Both have shown good 1st step quickness in order to get into a gap before engaging. Both can accept the double team and ground rather than get put on skates. Neither are pass rush experts so they both fit the 1-tech NT well.

DT = Hassan Ridgeway, Marcus Hunt, Caraun Reid, Tomasi Laulile, Anthony Johnson
None are going to be great 3-tech DTs but Ridgeway, Reid, Laulile and Johnson all have the college experience at the spot and all have the right body types for it. Reid had a solid year at it in 2015 (29 tackles, 5 TFL, 2.0 sacks in 14 games) with Detroit prior to tearing his ACL early in 2016 and then starting his bouncing around the league. Hunt? If Anderson is not good for this defense then I have no ideal why Hunt is still on the roster either.

DE[Flex] = Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis
Plays DE at the 7/8/9-tech on suspected running plays and kicks inside replacing the NT on suspected passing downs. I know that Ballard said in his interview that he sees Lewis as a possible future 3-tech DT but I don't know that he meant that as a full-time guy or just during passing downs or not as a rookie. I look at Lewis and I don't see a full time 3-tech body.

DE[Rush] = Jabaal Sheard, Terrell Basham, Kemoko Turay
Plays DE pretty much as a 9-tech and is playing the run on the way to the QB. Sprinting towards the QB on every play.

My guess at a final roster if set today:

DE[Rush] = Sheard, Basham, Turay
NT = Woods, Stewart
DT = Ridgeway, Reid
DE[Flex] = Autry, Lewis

Who is not on that list that Ballard said was moving to DE? John Simon.

No room for him anywhere. His only postion, IMO, is DE[Rush] and that spot is too crowded. I think he is moving "back' to SSLB because that is still where I see his skill sets.

Walk Worthy,