Thread: Draft 2021
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Injuries happen, what if Turay had been healthy this year? That is why he wants to build depth. However, there is a reason you say you are what your record is. Again, squeaking in is exactly what they did. The year before, less bounces went their way and they missed. They are keeping their head above water. Mostly because they have good talent on the team. But still lacking in very influential areas, and now we have LT to deal with. We should be focused on LT and getting Wentz more weapons. Instead we are debating spending our first on another pass rusher in a mediocre, but deep, pass rusher draft.

Every team has those trying times articles. Does it suck? Sure, but other teams have lost their guy also, FA, injury. But Ballard has been shuffling QBs, a lot of teams have QB consistency issues. Hence the mad rush for the rookie QBs this year. I don’t hold Ballard responsible for Luck or the fallout. I do hold him responsible for the things he can control though.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say “we are rebuilding, this team isn’t ready.” Then turn around and say “this team is special, they have a shot, they can do it.” This mostly comes from the fanbase. If the team is a contender then you need to fill those gaps best you can. Pass rush and wide out have been understaffed for awhile. If the team comes up short, maybe it was because you didn’t do enough to get talent on the team. And with 30-60-90 million sitting there. Did your inaction cost the team a better shot? Because I keep coming back to the end of these seasons and wonder if it’s another wasted opportunity. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but it seems to others that Ballard can do no wrong and I don’t agree with that.
Buckner wasn't injured for the Titans game, he was held out on a false COVID positive. It was total bullshit that cost the Colts the division. Notice I didn't bring up Autry who was actually injured for that game.

I absolutely agree that Ballard should be held accountable for his lack of use of free agency. But to me, that's basically the only thing he's gotten wrong, and only to a certain extent. When he has swung in free agency, he's hit mostly home runs. Autry, Ebron, Houston, and Rhodes all outperformed their contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I mean, consider it this way. In 2011 we had a terrible team, and hired Grigson/Pagano. They started kinda hot, had a good run, but the team deteriorated pretty fast.
So we started over, this time with Ballard/Reich.
They actually started kinda slow, and there's been stops and starts, but I think we see no signs of it all falling apart like we did 3-4 years into Grigson/Pagano.
No bullshit chopping wood coach speak. no rumors of locker room dysfunction, no weird press conference where Irsay has to act like the preschool teaching getting kids to hug and make up.

Ballard has been a net positive, and him not rushing out to spend big $$ in free agency, if that's his approach, I'm OK. He's the anti-Grigson.
Exactly, Ballard brings organizational stability to the Colts, and that's something you can't buy in the NFL that brings sustained success to a franchise for long periods of time.