View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I take your points here as well. I'm not saying that if we somehow managed to trade up (more or less two years worth of picks) to get Burrow, he would be demolished behind this line, as that is not likely to be the case, but:

1. He will have a defense that is not remarkably improved
2. He will have questions at OT with Constanzo and Smith
3. He will have the same WR questions that Brissett had
4. He will have thin depth at TE with Ebron's departure

I just don't want to see us trade two years worth of development to get a franchise QB that we cant keep upright or cant support with an improved defense.
I think one thing to remember is that with JB in place it’s entirely possible, maybe even likely, that even if they move up to get someone he sits this first year. That means you have two offseasons to address issues. Their draft capital would be diminished, but not gone. And they still have tons of cap space.

If AC retires then LT admittedly becomes a huge concern, but the others wouldn’t be a huge issue. I think the rest of the roster is good enough to support a young QB. Much better than most teams that take a guy high. I’m much more concerned with getting the right guy. If he’s in this draft and you can get him then pull the trigger and let him sit a year and learn. Trying to improve the roster first may help them develop but it would also make him harder to acquire too. If they pass this year (and don’t push draft picks forward) I’m not sure when they have this ammunition again with an improving roster. Loose that extra 2nd and draft at 18-22 instead of 13 and it becomes even harder to move up.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-22-2020)