Thread: L'Jarius Sneed
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 04:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Doss was actually let go b/c of injuries and was more productive during his time w/ the Colts than either Willis or Blackmon. Bashir was a little less productive than Willis and Blackmon (at least per game) but still pretty comparable. He was let go b/c we had Doss and Sanders. Here's their stats w/ the Colts (apologies for the format).

GS Tackles Solo Sacks TFL INT FF
Bashir 51 234 165 0 3 5 3
Doss 42 268 205 1 11 7 6
Willis 33 219 161 3.5 7 4 1
Blackmon 46 214 163 1 12 7 2

And it's more than just Peyton vs. AR. Other than Peyton through 6 drafts Polian had drafted a HOF RB, HOF DE, a should be HOF WR, an all-pro DE (and maybe HOFer), and an all-pro TE.

Through 6 drafts Ballard has selected all-pros at OG, OLB, and RB. Q could maybe make the HOF but Leonard won't, and JT probably won't either.

Again, not knocking Ballard. The guy drafts well. But IMO he has a ways to go to be as good as Polian was (Bill, not Chris). It certainly isn't a known fact that Ballard's a better drafter like you claim it is.

Edit: you also need to admit that you forgot Jake Scott.
The statistics don't tell the whole story, I will always remember Mike Doss for the butt fumble level stupid play he made against the Bucs, who were defending world champions at the time, when he intercepted the ball, then inexplicably fumbled it, which Keenan McCardell picked up for a TD. The 2 things I remember Blackmon for are the game winning turnover he created in OT vs. Aaron Rodgers's Packers and how his absence in the last game of this past season likely cost the Colts the division. Bashir vs. Willis might be a wash statistically, but I recall Bashir being a bad starter on bad defenses and Willis being an average starter on average-good defenses. As for Isaiah Rodgers, I'd consider him comparable to a David Macklin type.

As far as all-pros, I think it's at least worth mentioning that Ballard used significant draft capital to acquire an all-pro DT, who had his all-pro season with the Colts. That would make the count 6 to 4, in about half the draft classes for Ballard. Incidentally, Wayne didn't make a Pro Bowl until his 6th season and didn't make all-pro until his 10th season, so look out for Pittman on that front.

I don't think you're knocking Ballard, I think it's a good debate, and good for us as fans that it's one that can be had.

Argh, how could anyone forget the great Jake Scott? I mean, other than both of us a couple of times.