View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
The Colts don’t just need an improvement at QB, they need a franchise QB. There is no need to draft anyone that you don’t believe with a high degree of confidence can be that guy. You don’t draft Eason in the 2nd and then draft someone else next year. If you draft him then you are investing several years into developing him.

Ballard needs to identify the one or two guys in this draft he’s willing to stake his job on and go get one of them. Or take a DT or OT (maybe WR I guess) at 13 and look to push at least one of the 2nd rounders into the future so he has ammo to go get the guy next year. Trading this years number one for ammo next year works to I suppose. But you don’t just take a QB high and then plan to try again next year. Whoever you draft is your guy for at least 3 years IMO.

(To be clear - I’m not suggesting Ballard will or even should be fired if his QB doesn’t pan out, but it’s simply reality that how he handles the QB position will have more impact on his success or failure than any other single decision he makes)
That is the interesting option to use the #34 pick with.

That pick could be seen by a lot of teams as pure gold if "their" guy whom they were sure was a 1st round pick is still on the board at the end of day one.

Much like when we traded our next year 1st round pick for Tony Ugoh, someone who is likely to end up with a top half 1st round pick next season might be willing to give it to us for their guy this year.

Ending up 2020 with two top half 1st round picks is a really attractive place to be if you want to go TL shopping. Both your 1st round picks and a future 2nd for the #1 overall? Its possible, it depends on how far down the board you are.