View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 12:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Most gun crime is committed with handguns but it’s the scary “assault weapons” that get all the attention.

If I believed for a single second that a ban on AR’s would be the end of it, I’d be inclined to support such a ban. But it wouldn’t be, because the weapon itself is not the problem.

The problem, as I said before, is a society that is creating these people.

So we get rid of AR’s and then when the next shooting happens, which it inevitably will, the same people will be back saying “we have to do something”. And on and on it goes.

So no, f**k that noise.
Im all for more state and fed attention to mental health. Red flag laws need to be passed and MAINTAINED, spend the money on tracking and execution.

The ARs are a real problem for a lot of reasons. Its all well and good to have security officers in the schools. In our community, they have a taser and a pistol and body armor. But they are outgunned by the kid with the AR. So do we get them a bigger gun? Build a moat around the schools and put up watch towers? Make the schools a fortress that looks like a prison? Artillery beats armor. Every time.

There needs to be a federal clearing house for a background check. Most honest gun owners will clear it. Yes, you pay a fee. When you pass it its tax deductible. Almost all of my friends who hunt are fanatical on the care, maintenance, and safety with a gun. Im betting if states organized a safety program in every county, you would have plenty of excellent instructors to make it work.