View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 07:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
He doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson to be a good NFL QB, and I never said he was a threat to run the ball every down. Your assessment made him sound like Drew Bledsoe, but in this post, I can see we're actually pretty close to agreement on his athleticism for the position, except that you want to call him "lead footed" for some reason. I don't think anyone would say Russell Wilson isn't athletic, but if you look at his Wisconsin tape or his early NFL tape and compare it to Mac Jones vs. Georgia, for example, you'll see similarities in the ways they use their legs. Primarily you'll see both use them to escape pressure, keep their eyes downfield, and use their elite passing traits to push the ball downfield. You'll also see an occasional RPO, as you said, which keeps the defense off balance and forces them to account for the QB, which puts further stress on the defense.
I never said he was Drew Bledsoe, you did, and I never said he had to be Lamar Jackson. Please stop with the disingenuous exaggerations.

If you need a comparison to understand what I am saying, I'll compare his ability to scramble to Derek Carr. (I suspect Carr might be faster with a 4.67) Jones can probably get a first down if there is a lane and the pocket breaks down. He cannot extend a play horizontally with his legs. He cannot run away from pursuit. He will not threaten a defense with his legs and will not demand a spy. I call him lead-footed bc he looks lead-footed. Do you see him running for TD's or first downs? He is a pro-style QB, not a dual-threat QB.

Now you are comparing him to Russel Wilson, one of the best dual-threat QB's in the league. What are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecl7ij3Dg0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc

Mac Jones had 35 rushing yards this year and 1 rushing TD. A QB sneak from the 2-yard line. He had -6 rushing yards in high school.

Russel Wilson had 370 yards and 5 TDs his final year.

They don't look similar at all running the ball. Jones can barely get the ball away if the pocket breaks down. He doesn't have the speed to extend the play. Wilson is a threat to score when he starts running.

As for RPO; Jones's run option was handing off to Najee Harris, not running it himself. Which is Reich's style. Wisconsin doesn't run RPO, they are like the least RPO school in college.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-20-2021 at 11:09 PM.