View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
while this is true, shanahan should have known better than to put his QB is that position. They were in field goal range. Run the ball (you were averaging 6+ ypc) then kick a field goal. that puts you up by two scores. NE would have needed a TD, 2 pt conv, onside kick, and field goal then.
It's a moot point if Ryan doesn't take that sack (or a previous sack, really). Then they still kick the FG and go ahead.

Shanahan's playcalling was far from flawless. But no one complained when Ryan hit Gabriel for 40yds or Jones for 20yds that same drive. At some point, your MVP QB has to understand the freaking situation.

Optimal strategy is to run 3x then kick, because you bleed clock and go up 2 scores. Patriots were going heavy with a bear front, though, so I get throwing to win too. Not my choice or the best clock management choice, but you'd been doing it that drive anyway. Problem was throwing on 2nd down to stop the clock, and then Matt Ryan just being a total dumbass.

Basically: I think Matt Ryan is getting way too much slack, and Shanahan way too much blame, for that result.