View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
And organization needs to interview a potential quarterback and try to get a measure of his ability to think adjust and learn. The NFL is a very cerebral game and the smarter quarterback turns to have an advantage over the athletic quarterback. See Peyton Manning. See Eli Manning. See Joe Montana. See that cheating bastard in New England
I think this is shifting. Although athletic QBs are nothing new. Teams are not forcing them into the old conventional pro-schemes now. Also I think QBs just have more training and experience than they used to. The 10,000 hour rule starts to apply. I also suspect Madden has an influence which is essentially a football simulator, at least with retention and play memorization. But teams are getting QBs that can extend the play, not necessarily a Lamar Jackson, but a Mahomes, Wentz, Wilson, Luck type that can leave the pocket and break down a defense. The pocket passer won’t die, and trend always shift in the NFL. But right now I think teams want a guy who can scramble. And just because he can scramble doesn’t mean he isn’t cerebral.