Thread: Politics
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Thanked 1,331 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
That’s fair, I don’t disagree at all. Unfortunately I’m concerned we are trending again towards nationalism which tends to hurt the whole idea of global cooperation. There is a whole lot of things that the international community should be addressing with China, but the only real way it works is when a majority of the international community stands together. That often requires partners to cooperate more and not allow side issues to threaten the cooperation. I just don’t see that with the current political climate. Trump is a large part of that obviously, but not the only part. Europe is having its own issues with Nationalism. That makes things significantly easier for China.

And my fear is that the current administration will use this to not only hide their own domestic failures with the virus, but to continue weakening international alliances. The WHO certainly has questions to answer as well, but that type of international organization actually needs strengthened, not weakened if you want to minimize future issues. But I don’t believe that’s the current goal.
Agree with your concerns. You would think 100,000+ deaths and the devastation to our economies would be a great rallying point for the international community. Hopefully it is, but like you I have my doubts.

As for the WHO, I think/hope the threat to withhold funding is a play to get Adhanom to resign, which at the very least needs to happen. The WHO prioritized their political ties with China over the health of the world and in doing so aided in China's cover up which lead to the outbreak. Perhaps this was inadvertent, but they still need to be held accountable.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/who-re...s-virus-alert/