View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
4-3 "under" defense

Gap described below:

[C Gap] OT [B Gap] OG [A Gap] OC [A Gap] OG [B Gap] OT [C Gap] TE [D Gap]

Nose Tackle (3-tech shading the inside shoulder of the OG penetrating the strong side A gap demanding the double team):
Jonathan Hankins, Al Woods, Grover Steward

Under Tackle (4-tech heads up on the weak side OG playing typically the weak side B gap between OG and OT):
Henry Anderson, Hassan Ridgeway

Strong Side Defensive End (7/8/9-tech on the OT penetrating either the strong side B or C gap depending on defensive play call):
Jabaal Sheard, Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)

Weak Side Defensive End (8/9-tech on the OT almost always penetrating the weak side C gap):
Bradley Chubb, Terrell Basham

Strong Side Linebacker (bumping the TE and running with or defending the edge, responsible for the opposite gap (B or C) that the SSDE is not penetrating):
John Simon, Lower Round Draft Pick

Middle Linebacker (Run responsibility is weak-side A gap; must cover the deep middle zone or run with crossing routes):
Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham), Anthony Walker

Weak Side Linebacker (Run stuffing clean-up guy who can set his edge or run all day to contain the backside cut and run down plays from behind):
Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis), Jeremiah George

Strong Safety (cover TE and run support in the box as needed):
Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley

Free Safety (Ball hawking deep zone range running all day, baby!):
Malik Hooker, T.J. Green

Cornerbacks (Press coverage, gum flavor tasters who stick with their guy all week long):
Qunicy Wilson, Kenny Moore, Nate Hairston, D.J. White + Free Agent

Tier A = Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B = Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller
Tier C = Rasaan Melvin

So, in my book in free agency, IF the Colts sign:

1x DE Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)
1x MLB Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham)
1x WSLB Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis)
1x CB Free Agent from list above

AND THEN draft Bradley Chubb with the #3 overall pick and a depth SSLB with a 5th/6th/7th round pick

WILL RESULT in a defense that is set with a solid group of folks that can execute this defense. More playmakers will be needed for it to be good but we are not far off being a solid defense in the 4-3.

It is obvious that Ballard knew we were heading this way with player acquisition in 2017. All the free agents fit a 4-3 as well or better than the 3-4 they were signed to play in.

It will be great watching Ballard in free agency because my bet is that he does absolutely nothing like I wrote above for the defense!

Walk Worthy,
I think you need to look again at your techs here. I think you got some things mixed up.