View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts
Default Colts-Jets quick thoughts

1. I mean, what else can we say about the drops? There has to be a roster move this week. There will probably be one anyway due to today's injuries. But Reece Fountain or a free agent ... there's just no way, at this point, the Colts could downgrade by playing someone over Pascal or Rogers.

2. This team was schematically flawed on defense today. I don't know what Eberflus was trying to accomplish on 3rd downs, but he routinely made the wrong call. He conceded the MOF when Jets obviously wanted to go MOF, then conceded the boundaries when Jets wanted to go outside in two-minute drill.

It bothers me when this team plays as if conceding 7 is inevitable, so they're relieved to concede 3 instead. See also: end of first half. Sometimes, this team needs to recognize that the offense is sputtering and the defense needs to be put in position to make a play against a rookie QB.

3. But regardless of strategy, the DBs were AWFUL as a group today. CBS kept pointing to the DL tiring out, but the DBs were the most consistently problematic group. Wasn't limited to any one person, but Nate Hairston stood out to me the most as immediately struggling.

4. I still don't understand why it's so hard for this team to find a run game. In the second half, they started running behind Castonzo-Nelson-Kelly and handing the ball off to Mack in pistol or singleback formations. Why did it take a half of football to get there? The first half was a few half-hearted attempts to run by, like, running slow-developing plays with Robert Turbin. I think Reich overthinks the run game sometimes. See also: these runs up the gut with Hines.

5. Speaking of Quenton Nelson, he was fine today, but holy shit he got DESTROYED on Luck's 3rd pick. It wasn't anywhere near the reason for the pick, but I don't remember the last time I saw a guard get destroyed quite like that.

6. Of all the drops, Hines' drop bothers me most. Mack's was the worst, of course, but Mack is also a known 50/50 prospect with the ball in the air (remember the pitch he ruined last year?) And I know the WRs are bad. But my hope is that Hines can play some slot for Colts with Mack purely taking handoffs, and that was a BAD look for a slot WR.

7. I still don't understand, unless he was hurt, why Eric Ebron wasn't on the field -- in a receiver spot if nothing else -- any more than he was. Maybe it was injury management, which would be a fair reason to limit. But it feels like this team doesn't realize Ebron is its greatest asset without Hilton sometimes.

8. The Colts are holding up well in pass protection. It's not perfect, but it's not the problem.

9. I think we have to concede that Luck is going to throw one dumb throw per game that may or may not be picked (had 1 that was, 1 that wasn't today). The goal is to get to a point where that doesn't = the margin for error.

10. I was happy to see Jabaal Sheard rewarded with a sack for his play today. He was a beast. Shame he couldn't nab that INT. Woulda been big.

11. Grover Stewart does nothing for me. That 2017 draft class looks pretty damn bad.

12. This team misses Pat McAfee on onside kicks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (10-15-2018), DrSpaceman (10-14-2018), Racehorse (10-14-2018), Thorgrim (10-14-2018)