Thread: Quick thoughts.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 07:45 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

-Fun game to watch, first off.

OFFENSE:

-AR did pretty well all things considered. Still impressed with his poise and overall calmness.

-Two things that worried me about AR pre-draft were accuracy and chance for injury being a running QB. Both were pretty well on display today.

-Two (maybe three) hero ball Wentz plays: the almost sack completion and the final hit. Coaches HAVE to hammer home that he cannot do that. Hope the knee bruise isn't too bad.

-Left some plays and yards out there with bad placement.

-Oline + RB's sucked in run game. Didn't help that we didn't have much of a vertical passing game, but still. Without rewatching yet, I couldn't say who was more to blame. All three contributed.

-Jackson had a bad day, too bad Hull went out so early. Same with Ogletree.

-Pass pro was fine for the most part, I thought. Allen's 3 sacks are misleading as AR was running and went out of bounds twice. But pressure, which is more important I think, wasn't too bad.

-Smith gave up both legit sacks when he took his guy out wide, but AR held the ball too long on the Walker one and the Allen one was more Fries' fault for not helping Kelly with the stunt and forcing AR out where Allen chased him down.

-Downs started off promising, but disappeared. Of course everyone outside of Pittman disappeared as we didn't have much of a vertical threat. EVERYTHING was short. I hope they get more aggressive going forward, expect the INTs, but gotta go downfield to loosen everything else up.

------

DEFENSE/ST:

-Same story as last year. Easily played good enough to win. O didn't completely fuck them like last year, but eventually two bad plays happened and they broke... almost 34:00-26:00 T.O.P.

-The first unfortunate play was the punt where it looked like a dead ball, bounced right to Agnew. Looked like we'd pin them at the 5, instead it's in Colts territory. Right after that was the INT. (Honorable mention to JAX O-line carrying Bigsby from a 4yd loss to a 4yd gain at the 1).

-Front 7 was solid mostly, DB's gave up a few big plays (a couple were just awesome throw-catches by JAX).

-Moore did better on Ridley in the 2nd half. The young DBs' ceiling when they're mentally ready to take over is exciting.

-Buckner TD was a wild fucking play.

-The reason that play scored was because Franklin is fucking all-go all the time. Becoming one of my favorites.

-Sanchez had a bad day.

-I'm all for the 4th down aggression just past midfield or whatever... but not at the JAX 16 right after a turnover. 4-and-out after Brown's INT was a win for JAX and nulled the INT... ESPECIALLY because we rushed the 4th down play and didn't review the awful spot on 3rd down.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 09-10-2023 at 07:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-10-2023), ChoppedWood (09-10-2023), CletusPyle (09-10-2023), Lov2fish (09-10-2023)