View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 10:53 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Derwin James had 16 PDs + INTs in his best year. Adams had 13. That's not a huge difference. Then factor in that James hasn't forced a fumble in the NFL, has 7 TFLs, 3.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, and missed most of 2019, and it strikes me as odd that you'd call James a playmaker and Adams a thumper. Adams creates far more positive defensive plays. Honestly looking at Adams's height and weight, he might even be able to be an effective LB or big nickel for the Colts in a hypothetical trade scenario. He's not worth $20 million, though.

I've seen enough of Watson that I'm unconvinced that he's anything better than average, and his receiver group took a HUGE hit losing Hopkins. Players and the league often overvalue certain players for varying reasons.
James has only played his rookie year, his sophmore season ended early bc of injury. Still he was able to surpass Adams int total in just his rookie year. I call Adams a thumper bc he makes his best plays near the los, not in the secondary or both. I think Sanders was a thumper, its not a negative term. He was decent in space and could break on the ball if he wanted to, although he dropped a few he should have caught, but he played best coming down to the los and was known as a big hitter like Adams is. If thats what we wanted our SS to do then I think he would be a good get, not for 20 million of course. I think they want guys that can make breaks on the ball in the air and cause turnovers in the passing game and play the run. If you want a safety that can blitz off the edge, make plays in the backfield, and knock the hell out of guys, then Adams should be your guy. Personally I would make him a will lb, I bet he would do well in this style of defense as a will.

As for Watson, I don't necessarily disagree, but the guy is 24 and I think he has a much more positive rep around the league than that.