View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Not exactly. We don't use (2) 5 techs. Usually it is a de and a dt. So where will he fit. Probably de while McGill is usually a dt or nt
Really?

Because while a lot of depth chart and football sites want to put DT or DE next to our players, the reality of what I see is that both sides of our defense (strong side and weak side) are doing a 5-tech DE job.

Our base alignment is that our NT is either in the 0-tech (head up on OC) or the 1-tech (on one of the OC shoulders, usually the strong side one). His job is to try and fill the A gap (between OC and OG) on either side depending on where he feels the run develop.

Our DEs typically almost always in the 5-tech which is shading the inside shoulder of the OT in order to control the B gap (between OG and OT) and the C gap (outside of OT). They invite a double team from the OT and OG if possible so that the ILB on that side is freed up to attack the runner.

On a strong side run, if the NT is occupying the OC and weak side OG and the DE is occupying the strong side OG and OT, and the OLB[EDGE] is contending with the TE, then the strong side ILB is free to attack the runner. The weak side DE is 1v1 with the weak side OT and is hopefully holding both gaps in order to prevent backside cuts.

On a weak side run, the NT is, again, hoping to occupy the OC and strong side OG, the weak side DE occupying the weak side OG and weak side OT and both the weak side ILB and OLB[RUSH] are free to make the tackle with the strong side DE 1v1 on the strong side OT or double teamed by the strong side OT and TE.

If we played a "DE" and "DT" structure, the DE would be the 5-tech and the DT would be more of a "3-tech" which is a term that is typically used on a one-gap 'shooting" type defensive linemen rather than a two gap "stuffer" (our Under Tackle concept from when we played under Dungy). Our backside DE is not really playing a shooting style because I see them still holding a two gap responsibility against cutback.

Please tell me where I am wrong but I see our DE playing 2 gap from the 5-tech almost all the time; strong side or weak side.

Cheers,

Last edited by sherck; 03-14-2017 at 10:25 AM.