View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts
Default Good USA Today article on Ballard about Allen Trade

Located here. Some high points:
Quote:
This is bigger than Allen. This is a message. A loud, unmistakable message. Ballard is setting a tone and setting standards. This is him raising the bar on expectations, and not a minute too soon.

The Colts are nothing if not a mediocre football team, going 16-16 in the past two seasons. Mediocrity cannot be tolerated, Ballard seems to be saying without actually saying a word.
Quote:
What the move also says, in no uncertain terms, is that the Colts think the world of Doyle and, to a lesser extent, backup Erik Swoope. Both demonstrated last season that their arrows are pointing up, which clearly was not the case with Allen. Doyle was, in effect, the No. 1 tight end in 2016, meaning he won’t experience much of a change in his role. Swoope had a coming-out party after seeing real playing time for the first time, catching 15 passes for 297 yards and making huge strides as a blocker. Seeing as how he is entering just his third season of organized football – Swoope played basketball at the University of Miami – the Colts have reason to be optimistic about the athletic Swoope.
The more that I think about this move, the more that I am seeing the logic behind it.

As long as Swoope, Dorsett or Rogers step up and become that 4th trusted receiver alongside Hilton, Doyle and Moncrief, we will be fine with Allen's departure.

FIX THE DEFENSE!

Cheers,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Wyatt (03-09-2017)