Thread: so Donald Trump
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
So Spicer has intimated that the Feds will crack down on the legal weed laws in the states that legalized weed recreationally.

This seems like an odd political move to me. For one, the GOP and conservatives profess to be for state's rights. This seems to be opposite to that position. For two, Trump himself said this was a state's rights issue when he was campaigning. He would come across as a liar if he let this happened. For three, the latest polls for the past 2-3 years (yes, I know, in TrumpLand all polls are fake, but anyways) have shown that the majority of this country agrees with legalization in general, and a larger majority shows that even if people don't agree with legalization they believe it's a state's rights issue (which would be consistent with the conservative position).

So I'm just missing the boat here on why he'd do this. Politically it seems like a stupid move to me. I guess the only way it sorta makes sense is that other than Alaska all the states that have recreational weed voted against him, so perhaps he is that petty.
This jumped out to me too. I just read something about 150,000 jobs being created in this niche.

I took my wife to Denver last November (I live in Atlanta). Honestly, My jaw hit the ground when I watched people walk in and out of those recreational dispensaries like it was a liquor store. I watched one guy walk down the street with a brown paper bag full of trees, or cookies, or whatever - and it's no problem. If the same guy is walking with the same bag here in Atlanta - his life might be fucked if APD stops him.

It was fascinating for me personally because I had never experienced something like this before. My family moved from Indianapolis when I was 14, and I've spent close to the last 13 years here in Atlanta. Outside of your basic deep south race relations stuff, Indiana and Georgia aren't that much different when it comes to every day people and every day life. But Colorado, and Denver specifically, gave me a feeling like I was in an entirely different country. People in Colorado are doing this shit for fun, and people where I'm from are doing it in fear (even the parents that have to illegally go out of state to obtain medicinal forms of cannabis for their children because Georgia will only allow absurdly weak (potency) forms.).

These people in Colorado had liberties (even over their own bodies) that I am not afforded in my home. And they voted for these liberties and decided as a state this is how they wanted to operate. Friction was probably inevitable because Sessions has always made it clear how he felt about Marijuana, but Trump said he felt it should be up to the states.

Does the white house actually intend to go out here and start hitting these legal spots? And for the conservatives out there that perceive Marijuana to be a non issue, what happened to your respect for state rights? I can understand someone saying they don't agree with Marijuana legalization; I can't understand the hypocrisy of suggesting a state doesn't have the right to choose how they operate here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (02-26-2017)