View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 06:26 PM

Thanked 4,432 Times in 2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I think Ballard is plenty capable. He’s a very good drafter overall which admittedly is an important quality for a GM. I like his overall demeanor. I want the guy to succeed. Of course anything short of saying Ballard is great is met with criticism and excuses. No matter what is done, the most logical and really only possible choice is whatever Ballard did. So I’ve started asking people to go on record of when the window for this team starts and what they expect that to mean philosophy wise. I’m curious what the excuses will be when Ballard continues his same philosophy.

People started coming to Ballard’s defense because I disagreed with your statement that Ballard saw a window with Rivers. I’ve asked for examples of where Ballard has made a “win now” move and I still don’t have one. I don’t because Ballard has never done it. But instead of just saying he hasn’t and shouldn’t have, the defenders are throwing out all kinds of other defenses. The guy doesn’t seem to change his approach no matter the roster makeup or QB situation. He’s going to resign the guys he likes, he’s going to be extremely cautious in free agency, he’s going to lean heavy on the draft, and he’s ok gifting positions to rookies and young players while letting them grow into them. Good or bad that is pretty clearly Ballard. I’d much rather argue about if that is a smart philosophy or not than keep arguing with guys trying to tell me Ballard is aggressive or has made multiple “win now” type moves.
You know there is nothing wrong with that approach, right? Build a team through the draft. Hire good coaches to improve the talent on the roster. Re-sign the best players you develop, and cut the losses on those who don't work out. Trade for proven players when possible. Manage the cap well enough to allow for player development and remain flexible enough to not have to make roster cuts that hurt, like trading Tyreek or Diggs. it CAN be done that way, with adding a few key free agents in lieu of the splash signings everyone is clamoring for, right?