Thread: Reich fired!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 11:29 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I definitely feel bad for him....I never hated the guy, just never felt he was a good head coach. They have too much invested in Young and he was not developing under Reich! Bet they bring in a guy with a history of developing young talent....
I heard a great breakdown on Frank's failures this afternoon, think it was on 1430.

The bottom line in this analysts perspective, and I think it was a PFF guy who was talking, is Frank puts far too much emphasis on the Oline and the ability to win 1:1 battles. When it works, his offense is very good, but when it doesn't, things quickly go south, especially when there are injuries (every damn Oline has injuries!). He said Frank does not like to help, does not like zone blocking, and does not like to use pre-snap motion to diagnose alignment and adjust the scheme. Olinemen are on islands a lot and if they get beat, the QB is the victim. This all seems to check out thinking back to some of the things we saw here. What was it the Rivers year where we had effectively the same OL all season, and in turn a nice year out of our QB? Seems like recently we've had very little Oline continuity and we've had terrible QB play. So in his analysis very hard to say if Young is / is not the guy, because Frank's Oline model has given him no change to succeed (and implying neither Wentz or Ryan had a chance either).

BTW he praised Steichen, talked about how we do a lot of hand offs in the blocking game and as such we don't need to have individually great Olinemen and is one of the reasons we've been able to succeed (he was using points per game as the measure) vs being so inept last year.

Also, he said Steichen should be in coach of the year running for what he has been able to do with the lack of dynamic play makers on the team.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (11-30-2023), CletusPyle (11-30-2023), Oldcolt (11-29-2023), Spike (11-29-2023)