Thread: so Donald Trump
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I refuse to vote from someone with an R or D by their name over a 3rd party candidate simply because they are the lesser of two evils.

Its that kind of thinking that has us in this mess where the parties put up weak candidates election after election.

Voting for one major party candidate simply so the other one doesn't win is not good enough, and should not be good enough, when voting for the president.

I buying into the idea you have to pick one of the major party candidates, no matter who they are, just to beat the other person just perpetuates this country's problems long term.
Not saying you're wrong by any means, and I respect your opinion here. I see where you're coming from.

And I think any other year, I'd understand it better. But in 2016, it really seemed like voting Johnson WAS voting Trump. Johnson and Stein were never viable candidates (IMO, Johnson was a nutjob too, certifiable, but totally JMO), so voting Independent to make any kind of a statement on either party was really the same as not hurting the guy who announced himself as an executive trainwreck so many months prior.

I can't emphasize enough: I get the logic any other year. But this year, it wasn't just "they both suck" or "typical partisan Sophie's choice". This year, it was Donald Trump loudly stomping toward the White House, glasses of water rippling as if stirred by dinosaurs approaching in Jurassic Park, yelling "I'm going to fuck shit up, and not in the good way you guys want me to!"

But I do respect your civil discussion here, and rebuke of a two-party system that is obviously both severely flawed and going nowhere anytime soon. Now its just set to co-opt the looney outsiders who would otherwise declare independent.