Thread: 10/6 indystar
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2023, 08:54 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,414 Posts
Default Relentless pursuit to be great’: How Zaire Franklin grew into a leadership role with

‘Relentless pursuit to be great’: How Zaire Franklin grew into a leadership role with the Colts
Chloe Peterson
Indianapolis Star

INDIANAPOLIS — Zaire Franklin is unrelenting.

No matter what, the sixth-year linebacker has an incessant need to get better every single day, every single week — something head coach Shane Steichen thinks sticks out about him.

“The one thing I’ve noticed about him since I’ve been around him is just his relentless pursuit to be great,” Steichen said. “He’s in this building all day every day, the way he practices with great energy and effort. He practices like he plays. He practices hard every day. He goes out, makes a ton of tackles, is always in the right spot, knows his formations. … He’s a heck of a football player.”

Franklin’s breakout season came in 2022, when fellow linebacker Shaq Leonard missed the majority of the season with various injuries.

More:Why Colts are playing Shaquille Leonard less and why they expect to increase his snaps

Franklin had 94 tackles in his first four seasons between 2018-21. He nearly doubled his career total in 2022 alone, racking up a franchise-record 167 tackles. That season solidified the Syracuse product as a leader in the Colts’ linebacker room.

“He’s been leading the defense hella good right now, he’s playing with hella determination,” linebacker E.J. Speed said. “... He’s out there hitting running backs and stuff, knocking them off their wiggle and making them think about running through the hole twice. The defense has really rallied behind him to create a culture that I think we can all stand behind.”

Franklin started the season with 18 tackles, a pass defended, and a forced fumble against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 10. He continued his dominance in the next three weeks of play, registering NFL-leading 58 total tackles.

But Franklin doesn’t care about weekly accolades.

“It’s just a week-to-week league,” Franklin said. “Regardless if I’m No. 1 right now, my goal is to be No. 1 at the end. I don’t think they give you any awards or bonuses for being No. 1 for four weeks, it comes at the end. I’m just trying to maintain that level and keep making winning plays to help the team win.”

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin (44) tackles Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Jamal Agnew (39), during a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
A back injury briefly sidelined Franklin in the Colts’ recent 29-23 loss to the Rams on Sunday. He left the game with the injury late in the third quarter, but he managed to return in the fourth and still finished with double-digit tackles (12).

More:Why the Colts won't switch to grass at Lucas Oil Stadium despite increase in injuries

With 58 tackles through four games, Franklin is on pace to record 246 tackles this year, which would be an NFL single-season record and make him a lock for some postseason accolades.

The most important recognition Franklin could get, though, is from his fellow peers — and competitors.

“Last year, I achieved a lot and made a lot of plays, but for me, I just wanted to be stamped as one of the best linebackers in the league, one of the best defenders in the league,” Franklin said. “Awards and stuff don’t really mean as much to me as peer recognition. Having Aaron Donald come and tell me that he loved my game, that means a lot to me. I don’t know what else I would really need other than that … as I continue to grow and earn respect from my teammates and players, everything else is gonna come with.”