View Single Post
Old 04-30-2023, 11:41 AM

Thanked 1,343 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Should've posted this here...

My theory is that Freeland isn't a pick for today. Physically, he's eerily similar to Raimann. Tall, athletic build, not a lot of starts but freak athletes. Raimann was a 9.81, Freeland is a 9.82 (great 10yd, and blew away the OL in vert and broad jumps). So definitely a project.

Interesting part is that I believe Braden Smith has no more guaranteed money after this season (I could be wrong). If Freeland develops like Raimann seems to be doing, we could have nearly mirror images at OT and save a lot of money by parting with Smith in '24 or '25.

For now, he could be serviceable as depth, but still needs to become a player. Pure speculation, but could be a contributing factor in selecting him over an interior guy.
I think Freeland might be more ready than we think. He started 15 games at RT his Freshman and Sophomores years and then all 26 games at LT for BYU these last 2 seasons. And although he wasn't going up against SEC teams every week he's seen some good competition as BYU plays about half their schedule against power 5 teams.

I'm sure the plan is to have him as the swing OT, which the scout's quote below backs up, and as you mention possibly have him take over a starting spot in year 2 or 3.

Quote:
Chris McGaha, area scout: “Swing tackle. That’s what kind of makes him intriguing. Play two spots for you. He’s done it in college, too. Played right tackle for two years, and then played left tackle the last two years. … We feel good about the fact that the guy can play multiple spots and have versatility for you, and maybe get you out of a pinch.”