View Single Post
Old 02-11-2023, 11:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
That's a absolutely ricockulous statement. Tyler Boyd had 2 1,000 yard receiving seasons w/ Andy Dalton throwing him the ball. The fact that he's now WR3 for the Bungles shows how good Chase and Higgins are.
Chase and Higgins were both largely developed by Joe Burrow. Sure, Boyd was there, but like you said, Chase and Higgins are better.

Quote:
So in other words despite having a damn good 2nd year, Lawrence still has plenty of room to improve upon. That's a scary thought for the other teams in the AFC South.
Sure, that's one way to look at it. Nice try at spinning it into a positive for Lawrence, by the way.

I look at it as these are the exact same things he's had "room to improve" on since he burst onto the scene by beating Alabama as a freshman at Clemson. He has shown literally zero improvement on those things in the intervening five years. Why would it suddenly happen in his third year in the NFL?

By the way, if he ever does show that improvement, I will admit I was wrong. I was wrong about Herbert coming out, he didn't look like nearly as accurate of a QB as what he has become.

Quote:
Yeah, blame the Jets. I suppose you think it's the Chargers fault that Ryan Leaf didn't pan out and the Raiders fault that JeMarcus Russell didn't work out either
Is there a reason I shouldn't blame the Jets? They're the ones who threw him into the fire when he needed a year to develop. Does he not have the best public face? Sure, neither does Aaron Rodgers. If Mahomes didn't sit behind Smith his first year, do you think he'd be who he is today?

As for JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf, those were clear failures on the part of NFL personnel departments who wanted so badly for the physical gifts to translate that they ignored the clear work ethic red flags of both players. I've not heard anything similar about Zach Wilson. There were no rumors of a poor work ethic around him leading up to the draft, and based on Jacob Eason's pre-draft coverage, if that stuff exists, it probably will get out.

Quote:
I did post Fields' rushing stats, but I stated his '21 rushing stats instead of his '22. Sorry, was multi-tasking and misread the chart. That is a very impressive rushing stat. Of course so are Hurts' rushing stats: 784 yds and 10 TDs in '21 and 760 yds and 13 TDs in '22. Not sure why you don't think so, but I'm guessing it's b/c it doesn't fit your agenda.
What does Hurts's rushing have to do with Justin Fields? Again, never said Hurts was a bad QB, just not elite (top 5 in NFL) or MVP level (top 3 in NFL) going forward. Again, I'd go league average. Justin Fields is someone I could see surpassing Hurts in the next 2-3 years.

Quote:
You're smoking crack and probably the only person on the planet who would make that decision.
The only person on the planet who would've drafted Michael Jordan over Hakeem Olajuwon would've looked pretty smart in hindsight.

So would the only guy on the planet who would've drafted Russell Wilson over RGIII, which I'm fairly certain was me.

Quote:
Maybe not. Would have thought Day had a lot to do with Haskins development and the decision, but I suppose it could have been all on Meyer. Also, not important to our discussion, but I think the case with Burrow was more that the light turned on big time between his junior and senior years at LSU. His stats as a junior at LSU at least support this.
I think it's clear that Day and his former boss have different things they value from the QB position.

Quote:
I suppose we'll have to see. I'm having a really hard time seeing 10 QBs who I would put money on having a better year than Hurts next year much less 15. I'd be interested in seeing your list of who you predict will be.
10 QBs that will be better than Hurts in 2023? Let's do this in tiers.

Definitely
Patrick Mahomes
Joe Burrow
Josh Allen
Justin Herbert

Maybe
Lamar Jackson
DeShaun Watson
Tua Tagovailoa
Brock Purdy
Matthew Stafford
Kyler Murray
Dak Prescott
Daniel Jones
Aaron Rodgers
Jared Goff

That's not counting Fields, Stroud, or Young, all of whom I could see surpassing him within 2 years, or guys like Russell Wilson or Derek Carr, who looked much worse this year, but are bounceback candidates based on regression to the mean alone.