View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 03:10 PM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
We couldn't get a top-flight QB for that trade. There might not be a team in the league that could offer 10 (non-QB) players in a trade for Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, or another top-flight QB.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if that's hyperbole. Which is the point. QB's are too valuable and too hard to come by. Our team hit the lottery twice.
Yea thats the main reason why I'm not ready to shit on Ballard for not getting a franchise QB. Getting Manning and Luck were both like winning the lottery.

Trading for a franchise QB is impossible, while trading up to the top of the 1st round is expensive.

Sure Ballard could have sold the farm to move up in recent drafts, but there really weren't any sure fire picks to be had unless he was gonna go for the #1 spot.

2022 - literally 0 QBs worth having (Maybe there's a surprise among them but it will be pure luck akin to Tom Brady in the 6th round)

2021 - Jax would have never traded the #1 to us. I'm not sold on any of the others. Maybe Zach Wilson wouldn't suck if he wasn't on the Jets.

2020 - Getting the Cincy #1 (Burrow) might have been doable but probably not. But sure, there were other good QBs in the top of that first round (Tua, Herbert, we still haven't seen Love play for real)

So really, Ballard maybe could have or should have been aggressive in the 2020 draft, which was the 1st one after Luck's retirement. But after that, it's been 2 consecutive crops of bad QBs.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-04-2022)