View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 10:43 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I think Pittman might have made some difference, he was clearly the primary target last week, and so often yesterday Ryan would go to throw and then clutch it. Without seeing the all-22, I gotta think its because guys weren't open. I think this offense is supposed to work on anticipatory timing, but these receivers aren't executing downfield and Ryan was forced to go to his 2nd and 3rd reads - but that is when the pass rush was getting to him. Without fail, every time he aborted a throw (announcers were calling them pump fakes but he wasn't trying to fake out anyone), he'd get sacked or hit. He only had time to hit that initial read. The pressure got to him in the 2nd half, he wasn't seeing the field well, because he was watching for pass rushers out of the corner of his eyes.

But if this passing offense shits the bed without Pittman, that's a problem. I still think an old T.Y. Hilton is better than the rest of these guys.

I also still think the offensive line has regressed since DeGuglielmo was fired. Reich said it was about teaching technique, but these guys have the skills, but they aren't playing mean. When's the last time we've seen Nelson pancake and teabag a guy?

In fact, I don't think anyone on either side of the ball is playing mean. And its because Reich is too much of a player's coach, with too many light days, walk-thrus instead of real practice. I don't care to hear this "these guys are pros, should be expected to play hard". There is a psychology to lighting a fire under a guy's ass vs. the subtle message that he can make a ton of money playing at 90% effort.

Finally, I don't think we get blown out necessarily vs. the Chiefs. This team under Reich has a long history of playing to the level of their competition. We've played down against bad teams and stepped up against the good ones. I suspect that history is relevant and we'll see it again next week. But if we get slaughtered, then we'll know Reich has really lost the team.
Good post....and I agree about TY, not sure he wants to come back?