View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

Down here in Texans Land, the consensus seems to be that it was a bitch move yesterday. I know that's how I would feel if we did that. Makes you wonder how your players would take it.

o

Both teams had 70 minutes to go for the win yesterday ...... 60 minutes in regulation, and 10 minutes in overtime ...... and neither team could manage to put the necessary distance between themselves and their opponent for the W. The Texans blew a 17-point lead in the final 11 minutes of the 4th quarter, and the Colts' kicker missed a very makeable 42-yard field goal attempt in overtime.

I don't care how Texans fans feel about what their team does, but I would hope that Colts fans (and Colts players) would be smart enough to understand that 0-0-1 is better than 0-1, that recent history has shown that making a rash, highly questionable decision could be the difference between winning or not winning a division title, and that there are percentages/odds to consider in risk-reward decisions regarding going for the win and settling for a tie late in an overtime period ...... for an extreme example, if a team has 4th down and 30 from their own 15-yardline with 25 seconds left to play in overtime, I would hope that the head coach would not be insane enough to "go for the win" and not punt the ball in that situation. Neither the Colts in 2018 nor the Texans yesterday afternoon were in such dire straits as that hypothetical situation that I just threw out there, but they also were not in particularly favorable positions to decide to go for it, either (especially the Colts in 2018, because they had slightly worse field position in 2018 than the Texans had yesterday afternoon. The Colts were on their own 43 yard-line, whereas the Texans were on the Colts' 49 yard-line.)

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (09-12-2022)