View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:02 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Trey Lance isn't slow. I think Reich values athleticism in QBs. That would actually be the biggest argument against Eason working here, he's not much of an athlete, way more of your standard pocket QB. That said, Mac Jones is smaller, athletic, has good pocket presence, and is an accurate passer. I can't imagine the Colts putting on the Alabama film and not rating him very highly. Unfortunately, I think that's going to happen around the league, and he's going to catapult into the top 15.

I don't buy the argument that Eason not "pushing for reps" is any statement on his ability, and is much more a statement on his draft position. Look at the Dallas Cowboys QB situation for the past nearly two decades. It took an injury to Drew Bledsoe, their big free agent QB signing, for undrafted Tony Romo to get a chance, which he parlayed into a long career, only to get injured, giving 4th round pick Dak Prescott a chance. That's how a QB who doesn't have significant draft capital invested in them gets their chance in the NFL. That's the politics of it, and the situation in which Eason is currently stuck. That said, I'm not exactly counting on Eason, either, and it's pretty clear the team isn't. That's why I'm looking at possible solutions in this draft class, and hoping the Colts get lucky and have a guy fall to them that shouldn't. I understand Ballard wanting to get this right and being patient in doing so, but this QB search is eventually going to define his tenure as GM, for better or worse.
I didn’t call Trey Lance slow. Mac Jones isn’t a good athlete. Eason isnt either but he probably had the strongest arm in last years draft.

A good player forces you to play him. We need a QB. It isn’t politics. It’s not draft position. He isn’t that good. They would love for him to be the guy. Wouldn’t have to spend a draft pick and he’s on a rookie contract.