View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Coaching, really? On that 4th and goal where he opted to go for the TD instead of 3 points, if Rivers makes a decent throw and we score a TD, would it still be a bad decision? I've said this before, "Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan". I myself was good with the decision, just unhappy with the results.
I 100% agree with you on monday morning QBing. But yes, coaching. I'm not calling for Reich's head or anything, but I thought he made some bad decisions that hurt us on Saturday. I'm guessing he'd admit it too.

The play you referred to was certainly questionable, but I suppose those kind of things go along with his aggressive style (though I'll admit, that play seemed extra aggressive under the circumstances). But on the play before, he called for an outside pitch to Taylor which he said should have been a walk-in based upon his film study, but obviously he got it wrong because we were stonewalled and lost yardage. So that's on him.

Perhaps more egregious was the challenge on the Bills fumble late in the game, which he should have known was hopeless and cost us a timeout that might have made all the difference at the end of the game. I think we blew another timeout early in the 3rd quarter to avoid delay of game penalty. Not sure who called it, but I think it would have been smarter in a game of this significance to just take the minimal five yard penalty and keep the timeout. I believe it was first or second down at the time.

Then there was the failed decision to go for two points in the fourth quarter. I'll reserve judgment on that one, because if I stretch I feel like I can find a justification for it, but it did seem a bit strange. I'm guessing there's some sort of analytical basis for it.

Anyway, there were a number of odd calls Reich made during the game, and most failed and hurt us. Unfortunately, I think Reich just had a bad game.

Last edited by Chaka; 01-14-2021 at 10:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-17-2021)