View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 01:32 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

The problem with being upset with those third downs is how do you stop that? The back 7 can't cover the field for 6-8 seconds, and once Watson breaks out he's faster than most DL. You can spy him but then you're giving up a defender in coverage, which makes the coverage more vulnerable in man or zone. The only one that really stands out as preventable to me was the blown coverage by Rhodes (the Hansen TD). The Colts had called some variation of Cover 3 on the down because the other boundary CB (I think T.J. Carrie?) fakes up as though he's going to cover Hansen, but then immediately drops to cover his responsibility, which is the deep third of the field on his side, and more specifically never makes a move to try to cover a specific receiver. Meanwhile on the other side of the field, Brandin Cooks is running a deep crosser near Xavier Rhodes, and Rhodes gets sucked in, chasing Cooks across the field and vacating his zone responsibility of the deep third of the defense's right side of the field (the offense's left, where Hansen ended up). This allowed Hansen to run past all the middle of field zone coverage to the vacated deep zone, and with one of the few clean pockets the Texans gave Watson all game long, he found Hansen with nobody within ten yards of him for an easy score. Had Rhodes stayed with his assignment on that play, it may have taken a good play by Blackmon to prevent a big gain by Cooks.