View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I won’t grind the details of the two analyses since sometimes people don’t like that so much, but suffice it to say I disagree that you’re providing a true apples-to-apples comparison. I’ll add that Darnold’s stats last year (his 2nd, even under your method) compare very favorably with those other guys - he threw for 3,024 yards with 19 TD and 13 INTs, and we are (again, under your methodology) still only six games into his third year so it makes it difficult to compare a third year for this reason as well.

As to your point about the risks involved, you are of course absolutely correct that it would be risky. But here’s the thing – the rest of our team is pretty good, so I doubt we’ll be picking in the first half of the first round in the near future, so by necessity we have to explore some other option to get a quality QB. That means either signing a free agent with issues, taking a stab at a developmental QB in the draft that will take a year or two (or more) to be ready, or trading for an experienced but undervalued QB from another team. To me, Darnold seems to check a number of boxes for this latter option, so he might be worth gambling a high pick on for a team like the Colts.

What better solution do you see other than playing Eason, since no one here really knows how well he’s developing at this point? If Eason is lighting things up, then all bets are off and of course we should go that route, but I don’t know this to be the case currently.
Yes, this is still year 3 for Darnold. He's currently on pace for 12 TD's and 16 INT's for this year.

Multiple mocks have the Colts taking Trey Lance in the draft. I would rather use a draft pick on him than give up a high pick for Darnold.

Either way, we'll see what Ballard does soon.