View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Did not know much about Chinn. Had heard the name but who watches the Saluki's? So did some digging.

Jeremy Chinn
College: Southern Illinois
Position: Safety
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 212

Jeremy Chinn is an Indianapolis home grown athlete having played his high school ball at Fishers High School. Chinn is a physical specimen. He has a chiseled, muscular frame with incredible explosiveness. Tall, with ideal length. Burst and long speed enable him to take aggressive angles in pursuit attacking the football. Based on raw athletic talent alone, Jeremy Chinn could and I stress “could” be as good as any safety in this class. Chinn had a heck of a Combine with one of the best performances from anyone, regardless of position. However, reportedly he had a terrible week of practice at the Senior Bowl. Could that be the level of competition? Chinn could line up as both safety and linebacker and provide the versatility of a poor mans’ Isaiah Simmons. He has fantastic straight-line speed when pursuing ball carriers and can track down just about any play, regardless of where he starts on the field.

Chinn possesses fantastic upside, but he also carries a lot of risk. The Southern Illinois product is anything but a natural at the position, as he’s constantly late to diagnose plays. Has room to grow in terms of processing and instinct. Chinn is more of a reactive defender at this point and needs coached up. He overcomes his modest instincts with his pure athletic ability. But, will that translate to the NFL where the level of competition will be much greater than he faced at Southern Illinois? He can be a bit late in off man coverage to close down space when he's aligned off the football. Even with his great speed, he’s typically a step late to make a play on the ball. This implies that he’s going to struggle to adjust to NFL competition. Ultimately, Chinn is a high-risk, high-reward type of prospect that can either make or break a draft class. I would love to see the Colts add him to their roster. However, not until the 3rd round with the #75 pick. I like to take the BPA, while addressing needs too. I just don’t see Chinn being the BPA in the 2nd round at #34 or #44 for our Colts.
I saw exactly what this describes. An athletically gifted player with a low football IQ. He definitely needs some coaching and lots of film study. If he had the instincts of Isaiah Simmons, he'd probably at the very least be in the first round conversation, if not top 15.