View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
But then Holder says he doesn't think Simmons will be on their board due to the domestic violence, so who knows.
Yeah, though after re-reading Holder, he does couch the statement a bit more than I had thought:

Quote:
But if you look at the Colts’ recent history, they’ve rarely acquired a player with even a hint of major character issues. They’ve taken some fliers on players like cornerback Jalen Collins, who has past drug-related suspensions. But they’ve not invested money or early draft picks in a player with much of a checkered past. I just don’t think we can ignore that history.

On Monday, I asked Ballard if he’s backed off this stance at all. He once said he might eventually loosen his standards once the Colts were on solid footing, which they appear to be. His answer was not vague.

The team’s approach to character risks “hasn’t changed,” Ballard said. “It won’t change. Y’all have heard me talk about this enough. The locker room’s important. You only go as far as your locker room wants to take you. You have to have enough talent in it. But you also have to have guys who are willing to work, willing to do the things it takes and willing to do it together. I think you have to stay consistent. The first time you think, ‘Oh, we’re this close. Let’s just go take a bite of the apple.’ And then it burns you. We’re pretty strict on (who) gets in.”

Is Simmons the exception to all this? Running back Joe Mixon faced a similar issue in the 2017 draft. The Colts took him off their draft board. I don’t see the Colts compromising their standards for Simmons.
Seems more speculation than hard knowledge.