View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
But the Jags have drafted well previously also. Jalen Ramsey is their best player, Myles Jack, Smith, Fournette, Ronnie Harrison I think will be good, etc. They were not just built through FA. Their biggest problem is not hitting on a QB and not handling success well. If they had drafted Derek Carr instead of Bortles they might have a Superbowl now. They should not have given Bortles that huge contract.

It would be one thing if signing FA's to push over the top never works, but it does sometimes. So you can't say that it cannot work. The Steelers pretty much only build through the draft, they are in the conversation usually but they get beat by the pats just like everyone else, and right now they are imploding.

I think the point is that there is no one sure way to build a team. Think the Broncos regret signing those players? Or the Rams? Or the pats? We didn't win a Superbowl till that defense came together and Booger McFarlane (FA) solidified the interior of that D.
McFarland was a trade. The biggest FA of the Polian era was Corey Simon, but he ended up with knee problems, which were IMO due to him letting himself get out of shape.