Thread: The Big Q....
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Chubb is the only 1st round pick I would consider to be on the same level of value, now that the full season is over. 12 sacks, 60 tackles (41 solo), 2 forced fumbles and a pass defended. He had a great year and lived up to the hype.

And seeing how the other OL stepped up, I think Luck's protection would've been improved significantly with a lesser guard taken later.

But overall if I could change it I wouldn't. Having Nelson on the field has proven incredibly valuable. Nelson and Kelly together on the field is irreplaceable.

And while he's definitely second fiddle Braden Smith has done very well at RT. I don't know if he'll be there long-term or if he'll move to guard at some point but he's given us 1st round rookie OL production as a 2nd round pick. No complaints with either selection. I would put competent backup center/guard as the top OL need, the OL is largely fixed.
I think I feel the same way. I was in favor of drafting Chubb, adamantly so. I didn’t want to spend a 6 on a guard. But I am happy to see the line is much improved. Nelson has provided a clean pocket for Luck to step up in, and also cleared big holes for the backs. But this has been a group effort. Kelly’s improved play, putting Smith on the outside, and the return of Castonzo solidified it IMO. Combined with scheme, it works much better and really we only go as far as Luck stays upright.

Also, Chubb plays opposite Von Miller. I wonder how much that helps.