ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   4th down vs Houston week 4 (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65299)

Pez 01-11-2019 01:35 PM

4th down vs Houston week 4

I have grown very tired of reading about this play. So many people seem to think it cost us the division and I've come to the conclusion that the play really got us into the playoffs.

I don't get this, "If we had kicked it, we would have tied." Nobody knows that. We could have kicked it, had it blocked and still lost. We could have stopped them on Defense and still won.

What it did do was state to this young team that THIS is who we are. We go for the win, and have confidence and trust in our teammates to step up if it doesn't go well.

We won 6 of our next 7 games. and 10 of our next 12.

We didn't lose the division on that play, we became a team, at the cost of a division loss to a team we then subsequently knocked out of the playoffs.

DrSpaceman 01-11-2019 01:40 PM

I think it was an important play but tend to agree with you.

An example of losing the battle but winning the war.

It showed the league the type of coach and team that are now in Indy. There is no playing it safe, conservative approach here.

To paraphrase yoda : Its win or don't win. There is no tie.

If Reich does not go for it there, he likely doesn't go for it in other situations as well where this was needed.

Didn't win the division, but still the only AFC South team left in the playoffs, which is what matters.

Also allows for my favorite joke new Colts joke.

What do you get Frank Reich for father's day?
Anything but a tie.

Chromeburn 01-11-2019 02:46 PM

I think the attitude after was just as important. He didn’t apologize, he didn’t do an aw shucks maybe next time. No, he said that is who I am and we will go for it in those situations period. I think it established an immediancy to the team’s play. They started to get much better. They bought in. I think it was a watershed moment.

TheMugwump 01-11-2019 02:54 PM

I think consistency and predictability in the locker-room, to the team, is a huge strength. Reich, from what we have seen and heard, has that covered.

I also think that consistently being UNpredictable in play-calling and scheme is a huge strength on the field. Again, from what we have seen and heard, Reich has that covered as well.

For the 100th time this season, I'm damn glad we have Frank.

FatDT 01-11-2019 02:59 PM

Now that the Texans are out and the Colts are playing in the 2nd round I don't know why anyone thinks they still need to complain about that play.

Racehorse 01-11-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 105290)
I have grown very tired of reading about this play.

Yet here we are.

Not really. I agree with every point here

Colts And Orioles 01-11-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

I have grown very tired of reading about this play. So many people seem to think it cost us the division and I've come to the conclusion that the play really got us into the playoffs.

I don't get this, "If we had kicked it, we would have tied." Nobody knows that. We could have kicked it, had it blocked and still lost. We could have stopped them on Defense and still won.

What it did do was state to this young team that THIS is who we are. We go for the win, and have confidence and trust in our teammates to step up if it doesn't go well.

We didn't lose the division on that play, we became a team, at the cost of a division loss to a team we then subsequently knocked out of the playoffs.

o

5 out of 7, and 10 out of 13.

We lost the next 2 games following the loss to the Texans, to the Patriots and to the Jets.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/re...Teams/2018-ind

o

Pez 01-11-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 105341)
o

We lost the next 2 games following the loss to the Texans, to the Patriots and to the Jets.

o

Ok, but you get me point, yea? Sry, I was frothing a bit over reading another article about should have would have could have on that 4th down.

I think 3 4th down tries within fg range against jags was over coaching, but this 4th down was worth it.

(If one of you mother fskers says coaching does or does not matter I swear to God...)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Colts And Orioles 01-11-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 105341)
o

o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 105374)

Ok, but you get me point, yea? Sry, I was frothing a bit over reading another article about should have would have could have on that 4th down.

I think 3 4th down tries within fg range against jags was over coaching, but this 4th down was worth it.

(If one of you mother fskers says coaching does or does not matter I swear to God...)

o

If there was a turning point to the season, I believe that it was the players-only meeting after the loss to the dreadful Jets, not the overtime loss to the Texans.

o

nate505 01-11-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

I could not agree more. This team needed an attitude change in the worst way, and that move was the absolute epitome of it. I was happy at the time they went for it, even though the result didn't work out. I'm ecstatic about it now.