ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts-Titans quick thoughts (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64124)

GoBigBlue88 12-31-2018 12:42 AM

Colts-Titans quick thoughts

1. That was a really frustrating game. Obviously, Colts dominated throughout. But they did just enough dumb things, and the refs called just enough questionable penalties, to make it interesting. I hate games like that.

2. Kinda a weird game for Andrew Luck. Started off as strong as I've seen him, when I was a bit concerned about recent slow starts and early quarter inconsistency. Then, the pick-six. My God, that pick-six. I don't even know what to say about that pick-six. I love watching Luck play. Hard to make a case to trade him straight up for all but like 1-2 guys. But his quarter-to-quarter inconsistency, and turnovers within, are maddening.

3. I noticed Luck was really hesitant to climb the pocket today. If you do some math, he was also coming up to the line and making line calls. I don't think Luck trusts Evan Boehm at all. He probably should have a bit more today, but I get that Ryan Kelly is a huge missing piece. Boehm is pretty hopeless at the second level because he's a poor athlete, and while he's solid in pass pro, he's also given the absolute least to do.

4. I'm sorry, but at least 2 of the calls against Mark Glowinski were complete bullshit. Feels like the Colts are penalized once every other game just for pancaking someone. You can't hold someone who is already on their knees... Glowinski played well. Lazy analysis from NBC to suggest otherwise.

5. Inconsistent game from Marlon Mack, but more bad then good (EDIT: I misworded this in trying to get this out quickly; meant bad and good, wasn't quite what I was going for to suggest the balance of the two but I'll leave it in there for sake of honesty.) Loved seeing Jordan Wilkins get some burn today. I don't know how useful he'll be vs HOU, but long-term, you like to see him in the rotation with some value.

6. TY Hilton should get a statue for how he's gutted out this season. Just incredible. Almost any other WR would be down for weeks with that injury. This is one of the toughest performances we've seen from a NFL player, period.

7. But I also think Hilton's ankle limits where Colts can go in the playoffs. I think he's mostly a decoy at this point. Inman had a good game, but let's face it: the non-Hilton Colts WRs are just guys. Luck can only cook up so much magic, especially with Doyle also out.

8. Do you guys realize how close this offense is to being TERRIFYING next year, though? I mean, they need health, of course. Everyone does. But they're pretty much a WR2, possibly a RB and some spot depth away from being unfair.

9. Weird game from the defense. Honestly, their ask was pretty simple: they had to tackle soundly. Gabbert wasn't going to stress the back end at all. They tackled a bit inconsistently, IMO. Gabbert's awful passes bailed them out time and time again.

10. I already know Omaha will be pissed about me writing this, but it's true: George Odum was cut-worthy bad today. The penalty is one thing. His play in the base defense is just awful. He was solely responsible for Derrick Henry's big run that kept things interesting, he fucked up a sure INT to take 3 off the board for TEN, and was routinely lost in the MOF (just as he was last week).

11. Which leads me to: this team BADLY needs Geathers back. And Kelly.

12. I thought the Colts actually looked better after Tyquan Lewis went down, FWIW.

13. Jabaal Sheard had another silent stat game where he just blew up plays left and right all day. I really hope Lewis becomes Sheard in time. His role is just essential to this defense working.

14. Quiet game from Denico Autry, but he forced at least one big play (forget if it was an INT or PBU -- think it was Kenny Moore's INT) by jumping into Gabbert's first throwing lane and making Gabbert pull it down and reload.

15. Anthony Walker struggled with a few run fits today, but it was nice to have him back. He makes a big difference in communication alone.

16. Kenny Moore is just a baller. I think Eberflus has inflated the worth of a lot of players on this defense (Hunt, Desir etc.) But I think Moore is a legitimately good CB1. I think Moore and Leonard are good players in any defense.

17. Not sure Malik Hooker has ever been asked to do less in a game.

18. I know we get frustrated with Chester Rogers' fair catch (in)decisions, but he's in an unfair position, IMO. He shouldn't be the PR. That should have been upgraded years ago. But he's a great team player, and a tough kid. He does the best he is able to. The position needs upgrades, but he doesn't put it on the ground and he plays team football.

19. Also underrated moment: the Titans flashed a possible fake punt look. Colts communicated and adjusted quickly. If that happens last year, they fail to communicate adjustments and give up a first down for sure.

20. Frustrating game to watch from the officials. Ran about 20 minutes longer than it needed to because dumb shit was flagged. And they actually missed two obvious penalties on IND: an offensive facemask on Mack and whatever the hell JJ Wilcox was doing.

Puck 12-31-2018 12:50 AM

#5. ?????

I am not a Mack fan but 25 carries for 119 4.8 ypc and a TD wasn't inconsistent at all. His longest run was 21 yards so it was a pretty consistent 4 ypc without that run

Butter 12-31-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 102269)
#5. ?????

I am not a Mack fan but 25 carries for 119 4.8 ypc and a TD wasn't inconsistent at all. His longest run was 21 yards so it was a pretty consistent 4 ypc without that run

That was pretty confusing.

GoBigBlue88 12-31-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 102269)
#5. ?????

The fumble was inexcusable (ball security/hands has been an on-again-off-again issue) and he left yards on the field in 2Q in general before being a lot more direct in the second half. I thought the OL absent Boehm at the second level played a FANTASTIC game today and Wilkins would have put up the same if not better numbers. We have to grade a bit on the scale of the holes and run lanes that were there.

And to be clear: I think it was an inconsistent game. Not a bad game. You just wonder what Mack could be if he was like he was in the Cowboys game or 2nd half of this game every week...

Dewey 5 12-31-2018 01:04 AM

Nyheim Hines has become a very valuable contributor. As he continues to progress I think the options how to use him are limitless. He's a real weapon.

Maniac 12-31-2018 01:05 AM

Mack wasn't inconsistent. Just made a bad mistake. He made some good, hard runs, and he had one or two others called back due to penalties.

You're absolutely right about Geathers. I think that hurt the defense quite a bit with him out and Odumbass in there, who was absolutely AWFUL. He should not have been on the field. Horrible.

bertjones 12-31-2018 01:05 AM

It was a dominating performance by this team. If not for the silly mistakes
and poor officiating this would have been a 30+ point spread.
Luck will always make a couple of WTF plays but you live with that like you
did for Big ben and Favre, he's that damned good.
This team can do some real damage in the playoffs but it's hard not to
think of what the blueprint will be in the offseason- solidify the RB position(Bell?) get a decent WR2 and go balls to the wall in the draft for D. A team like
that would be the AFC Superbowl favorite, I'd think.

GoBigBlue88 12-31-2018 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 102276)
Nyheim Hines has become a very valuable contributor. As he continues to progress I think the options how to use him are limitless. He's a real weapon.

He's a de facto slot WR. Love how he's translated as a receiver. Don't even really need him in the backfield other than a few motion looks to keep defenses off balance.

Chromeburn 12-31-2018 01:25 AM

Right before the play Odum hit the guy far out of bounds. They cut to a close up of him for a split second. His eyes were as big as saucers and he had s look of “what the fuck is happening?” On his face. Felt kind of bad for the kid.

omahacolt 12-31-2018 01:36 AM

I get the Odum hate.

But take a step back and watch again and he was playing ok. Making special teams tackles and playing the box role in our d. He is an undrafted kid that made 2 bad plays.

He made up for the hit out of bounds with a pick a few plays late if desir doesn’t knock it out of his hands.

Hooker on the te td played like a pussy. That isn’t mentioned

Always like your opinions buddy