ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ballard (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141308)

omahacolt 03-18-2022 07:22 PM

Ballard

i like him. i don't want him replaced

that said, his winning the salary cap battle every year has been a detriment to this team. we had the means to add talent. and we don't

i'm not asking for crazy contracts. just asking for improvement. we have a lot of holes

albany ed 03-18-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 226600)
i like him. i don't want him replaced

that said, his winning the salary cap battle every year has been a detriment to this team. we had the means to add talent. and we don't

i'm not asking for crazy contracts. just asking for improvement. we have a lot of holes

I like him too. Do you think it's always about money? I'm thinking that certain players don't see Indianapolis as a living destination, so unless the money is a lot higher than say, LA or NY or some other major citiy, they're not signing here.

Oldcolt 03-18-2022 07:55 PM

I'm going to wait to see what kind of roster he puts together this year. Back when he started out he said that the reason he didn't want free agents was the locker room. He also doesn't seem to want to 'overpay', although that is something I do not understand. The going rate for a free agent is the going rate. You can call it overpaying but it is what the market is. So of course we have won the salary cap championship year after year. We should wait and see what happens once he knows what the next QB is going to cost. Hopefully he does what omaha wants fills a hole or two with free agents that come to play

Most people seem to think the Colts are quality organization and a good employer to the players. Honesty is one of Ballards nice qualities. It has a good all around roster. Lots of reasons to choose Indiana besides its cultural attractions.

Lov2fish 03-18-2022 08:13 PM

We could do much, much worse for a GM. Indy is a big city. Not all the glitz and glamor of NY, or Vegas and lack ocean front property, but plenty to do here, so I don't think that is a deterrent from coming here.

Not sure what it is. The salary cap levels the playing field for the small market teams to compete with the large market teams.

JAFF 03-18-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 226604)
I'm going to wait to see what kind of roster he puts together this year. Back when he started out he said that the reason he didn't want free agents was the locker room. He also doesn't seem to want to 'overpay', although that is something I do not understand. The going rate for a free agent is the going rate. You can call it overpaying but it is what the market is. So of course we have won the salary cap championship year after year. We should wait and see what happens once he knows what the next QB is going to cost. Hopefully he does what omaha wants fills a hole or two with free agents that come to play

Most people seem to think the Colts are quality organization and a good employer to the players. Honesty is one of Ballards nice qualities. It has a good all around roster. Lots of reasons to choose Indiana besides its cultural attractions.

About half of the guys who get big contracts get cut within three seasons because they dont play up to their salary. Adams will get big money, will he play as well without Rogers?. We will see.

rcubed 03-18-2022 08:49 PM

I think he is always looking for value. I think he inquires about a lot of free agents but the price goes over his valuation.

I agreed with his premise of build through the draft, build a culture ,and manage cap. but at some point you need to move beyond that to really compete. I also dont want to see him go on a spending spree but he could have afforded to add some talent without killing the cap, one FA could make a huge difference.

The base, core has been set. There is a culture. Its time, past time, to try to move to the next level.

But the other problem is he got fucked when luck retired. His plan didn’t account for obtaining a franchise QB when he was hired. He tried to apply the same concepts towards replacing luck and has been dicking around with constant stopgaps ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kray007 03-18-2022 08:54 PM

While I don’t have a direct line into Ballard’s thinking, I can guess. And my guess is that, without knowing who’s going to line up under Center, Ballard doesn’t have much freedom to sign free agents.

Right now, he doesn’t know if he’ll get a rookie making next to nothing, a bargain basement free agent, or a veteran like Matt Ryan, who’ll carry a cap hit north of $25 Million.

ChoppedWood 03-18-2022 09:15 PM

WR after WR after WR off the board, and el' Cheapo continues to sit on his hands. Don't give a F who your QB is, if you don't have weapons you can't win.

HE SUCKS!

Puck 03-18-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 226619)
WR after WR after WR off the board, and el' Cheapo continues to sit on his hands. Don't give a F who your QB is, if you don't have weapons you can't win.

HE SUCKS!

Kinda tough to talk a wr to come here when they dont know who will be throwing them the ball.

rm1369 03-18-2022 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 226621)
Kinda tough to talk a wr to come here when they dont know who will be throwing them the ball.

That’s a valid argument - for WR this off-season. It is not a defense for what they entered the season with at DE last year. Or the other holes Ballard has left on the roster over the last few years. It’s clear it’s his MO at this point.