ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So if the Colts are horrible... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167215)

Chromeburn 09-08-2023 02:55 PM

So if the Colts are horrible...

I've been pondering what would happen if the Colts are so bad they get the number one pick. What would you do? Let's say AR looks decent but it's not a guarantee he will reach his ceiling (note it seems AR is younger than all the top QBs coming out next year.)

You could draft Caleb Williams, then what do you do with AR?
Trade the pick for a huge haul.
Draft a non-QB position like WR or LT.

bigalbert 09-08-2023 03:05 PM

I’d trade it. A spot where we can get a Jefferson or Chase type wide receiver. Use the extra pics for oline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rm1369 09-08-2023 03:20 PM

If AR looks decent and the team still has confidence in his growth then you trade the pic for a ransom. If you are smart with the pics you can give AR more time to prove what he is while maintaining enough draft capital to go up and get someone else in another year or two if he fails.

Lov2fish 09-08-2023 03:22 PM

You definitely trade the pick. If Richardson has a bad year you will crush his ego drafting another QB. If we are that bad that we get the top pick that means we need help in more places than QB.

Brylok 09-08-2023 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lov2fish (Post 273497)
You definitely trade the pick. If Richardson has a bad year you will crush his ego drafting another QB. If we are that bad that we get the top pick that means we need help in more places than QB.

This

IndyNorm 09-08-2023 04:42 PM

I say that as long as AR shows improvement throughout the season and is looking at least promising by the end of the year then you trade the pick for a haul. Preferably to a team drafting in the top 5 so we can grab either Marvin Jr. or the top pass rush prospect (whoever that is).

Now if AR ends up being Josh Rosen/Zach Wilson bad with no improvement throughout the year then that might be a different story......

Realistically though I think we'll be picking in the 6-10 range.

Hoopsdoc 09-08-2023 04:47 PM

AR would have to be REALLY bad for Jim to pull the plug after one season.

I don’t think Ballard and Steichen would under any circumstance because that would be admitting they were wrong and they don’t strike me as guys who wanna do that.

In short, I think it would take extraordinary circumstances for them to draft Williams next year.

As for my opinion, I have no idea until I see AR play.

Racehorse 09-08-2023 06:30 PM

I voted to trade the pick, assuming AR is not a bust. Trade for a couple firsts, or a first and a couple seconds to move back three or four spots. Draft MH Jr., and get another stud high in he draft.

JAFF 09-08-2023 09:34 PM

Use the pick. What if the best player in the draft is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Joe Thomas or Edge?

IndyNorm 09-09-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 273533)
Use the pick. What if the best player in the draft is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor or Joe Thomas or Edge?

If you think the guy is a future HOFer at a premium position then using the pick possibly makes sense. A lot depends too on who would be drafting behind us and if they need a QB or not. Ideally under this hypothetical teams picking 2-5 are all QB needy and AZ, who has Hou's #1, only has 1 of those picks. This would create a big bidding war between whoever is drafting 3-5 (and maybe whoever is drafting 2nd) where we could likely still draft that elite player at a premium position and get a haul in draft picks for trading down.