ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019 Draft Class (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72654)

Chromeburn 04-27-2019 10:38 PM

2019 Draft Class
 
Think Ballard puts a premium on athleticism? All these guys tested well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5NGaIcX...g&name=900x900

Chromeburn 04-28-2019 01:06 AM

Nice write up on Hart

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...orse-dominance

YDFL Commish 04-28-2019 11:28 AM

Don't forget RAS is for nerds and geeks.

JAFF 04-28-2019 12:35 PM

Having guys with athletic ability is pretty good plan. Finding guys with that ability and high character is even better. Throw in many of them are former team captains, leaders.

Ballard has a plan. He's executing it. It's got a short and a LONG goal.

Game on.

Chromeburn 04-28-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 118809)
Having guys with athletic ability is pretty good plan. Finding guys with that ability and high character is even better. Throw in many of them are former team captains, leaders.

Ballard has a plan. He's executing it. It's got a short and a LONG goal.

Game on.

He puts a high premium on speed and athletic ability. Our defense got a whole lot faster. Some of these guys will need time to develop. But the defense is an easy one to adjust to. So much so they literally drafted a guy named Speed.

Colt Classic 04-28-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 118806)
Don't forget RAS is for nerds and geeks.

Feel free to tell me how that number says anything about any of the players listed in the first post. It's a number to make stat geeks feel like they're evaluating talent at some enlightened level beyond what a common fan can see.

Chromeburn 04-28-2019 03:25 PM

So 6 of the draft picks were guys who played in the senior bowl, and UDFA Penny Hart.


This is what the guy who runs the senior bowl said.

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/statu...39898918707200

Chromeburn 04-28-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt Classic (Post 118829)
Feel free to tell me how that number says anything about any of the players listed in the first post. It's a number to make stat geeks feel like they're evaluating talent at some enlightened level beyond what a common fan can see.

God your takes are awful.

Luck4Reich 04-28-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 118833)
So 6 of the draft picks were guys who played in the senior bowl, and UDFA Penny Hart.


This is what the guy who runs the senior bowl said.

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/statu...39898918707200

Lmao at the idiot that says the Colts are a year or two from a Superbowl but the 49ers could make it next year.

Racehorse 04-28-2019 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 118784)

Mike Hart back with the Colts? :D

Chromeburn 04-29-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 118840)
Mike Hart back with the Colts? :D

Oh man that dredges up some arguments as I recall. Hopefully he has less injuries than Mike did.

HoosierinFL 04-29-2019 03:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeq2avEQa3k

Above are some highlights from all our draft picks. Obviously highlight reels only paint a rosy picture of a player, but still, each one has some interesting film, makes me optimistic - and well, that's all we can be at this point. We'll see what happens.
Some thoughts influenced by the video:
Ya-Sin: still love the name. Kollman really talked him up as a perfect fit. In the vid, he plays physical, bodies up receivers, and knows how to position himself to make a play.
Banogu: Looks like a fighter - when he gets his eyes on a QB he fights through blocks to get there. Not a quick first step though.
Campbell: dude is fast, has big play written all over him. That jet-sweep - wow.
Okereke: sideline to sideline speed and a thumper? yes please.
Willis: not a lot of "big" plays but looked like good form tackling, and quick to the ball.
Tell: looks like he's good at reading the QB and being a ball hawk.
Speed: Well, he was messing guys up in the highlights, but vs. some real low-tier talent.
Green: some actual possibility here as an edge rusher.
Barton: had a couple of Biq Q esque pancakes in there. Gotta like that.
Patterson: not bad, looks like he could be a heckuva good guard

VeveJones007 04-29-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 118917)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeq2avEQa3k

Above are some highlights from all our draft picks. Obviously highlight reels only paint a rosy picture of a player, but still, each one has some interesting film, makes me optimistic - and well, that's all we can be at this point. We'll see what happens.
Some thoughts influenced by the video:
Ya-Sin: still love the name. Kollman really talked him up as a perfect fit. In the vid, he plays physical, bodies up receivers, and knows how to position himself to make a play.
Banogu: Looks like a fighter - when he gets his eyes on a QB he fights through blocks to get there. Not a quick first step though.
Campbell: dude is fast, has big play written all over him. That jet-sweep - wow.
Okereke: sideline to sideline speed and a thumper? yes please.
Willis: not a lot of "big" plays but looked like good form tackling, and quick to the ball.
Tell: looks like he's good at reading the QB and being a ball hawk.
Speed: Well, he was messing guys up in the highlights, but vs. some real low-tier talent.
Green: some actual possibility here as an edge rusher.
Barton: had a couple of Biq Q esque pancakes in there. Gotta like that.
Patterson: not bad, looks like he could be a heckuva good guard

I actually really liked what Willis showed on those few plays. Some scouting reports questioned his speed and closing ability, but he demonstrated both in those clips.

Chromeburn 04-29-2019 05:45 PM

Another interesting fact I think almost all the guys were team captains. And frankly have some impressive resumes. Okereke was an intern for Condeleeza Rice and played at Carnegie hall. Just all high character guys. Speed sticks out a little, but they did their homework on him.

YDFL Commish 04-29-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 118933)
I actually really liked what Willis showed on those few plays. Some scouting reports questioned his speed and closing ability, but he demonstrated both in those clips.

I love, love, love CB's who can and will tackle with authority.

All of these guys, until you get to the final 2 OL picks, just ooze athleticism.

Tell looks like a WR out there.

I just can't imagine an offense that has TY, Ebron, Hines, Campbell and Funchess on the field at the same time. TY may never see double coverage again!

If Banogu is a LB, then we are now 6 to 7 deep at LB.

Puck 04-29-2019 07:09 PM

I like Banogu a lot

Luck4Reich 04-29-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 118952)
I like Banogu a lot

I think he and Maniac are going to feed off each other and really ignite the Defense by making a lot of big plays.

Luck4Reich 04-29-2019 08:00 PM

Mel Kiper gave the Colts an A for their draft.

JAFF 04-29-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 118959)
Mel Kiper gave the Colts an A for their draft.

Wow thats a buzz kill

Oldcolt 04-29-2019 10:02 PM

Athletes!!! I can't remember the Colts having this many apparently exceptional athletes on the squad. Not sure how great of football players they all are but damn there are some athletes there. If the coaching staff can figure out how best to use them and teach them fundamentals this could be a crazy good team. It will be interesting (hopefully fun) to watch the development of these guys. I am optimistic with this coaching staff. I let my head think about how I would feel if the previous staff was still here to develop these guys and got fairly sick. I frickin love this staff!!!

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 05-03-2019 12:49 PM

The Colts have signed half of their draft class - 5 of the 10 players have signed today.

LB Ben Banogu (Round 2)
T Jackson Barton (Round 7)
DE Gerri Green (Round 6)
C Javon Patterson (Round 7)
LB E.J. Speed (Round 5)

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-sig...19-draft-picks

JAFF 05-03-2019 02:38 PM

With no leverage it makes senseÁ

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 05-13-2019 12:24 PM

Two more draft picks signed today -

S Khari Willis (Round 4)
CB Marvell Tell III (Round 5)


https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colt...sign-contracts

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 05-20-2019 06:29 PM

Two more draft picks signed today -


CB Rock Ya-Sin (Round 2)
WR Parris Campbell (Round 2)


https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colt...sign-contracts


This leaves only LB Bobby Okereke (Round 3) unsigned from this year's draft class.

smitty46953 05-20-2019 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 120451)
Two more draft picks signed today -


CB Rock Ya-Sin (Round 2)
WR Parris Campbell (Round 2)


https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colt...sign-contracts


This leaves only LB Bobby Okereke (Round 3) unsigned from this year's draft class.

After Pat McAfee's glowing endorsement he is probably holding out for more money !!! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHRj...layer_embedded

njcoltfan 06-09-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 120451)
Two more draft picks signed today -


CB Rock Ya-Sin (Round 2)
WR Parris Campbell (Round 2)


https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colt...sign-contracts


This leaves only LB Bobby Okereke (Round 3) unsigned from this year's draft class.

Is he still unsigned? I can't find anything that says he is.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 06-09-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 121882)
Is he still unsigned? I can't find anything that says he is.


He remains unsigned. This is not surprising - the current CBA has the least amount of details set in stone for contracts for third round draft picks, which usually leads to the longest negotiations.

As recently as May 31, very few third round draft picks had signed (in fact, 26 remained unsigned on May 31).

A little less than half of those 26 signed contracts this past week.....so I would expect the negotiations to finish up soon.

Chromeburn 06-11-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 121884)
He remains unsigned. This is not surprising - the current CBA has the least amount of details set in stone for contracts for third round draft picks, which usually leads to the longest negotiations.

As recently as May 31, very few third round draft picks had signed (in fact, 26 remained unsigned on May 31).

A little less than half of those 26 signed contracts this past week.....so I would expect the negotiations to finish up soon.

Still better than the old days when the negotiations would drag into camp and beyond sometimes.

Luck4Reich 06-14-2019 04:54 PM

Bobby Okereke has been signed.

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-sig...under-contract

Maniac 06-26-2019 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 118955)
I think he and Maniac are going to feed off each other and really ignite the Defense by making a lot of big plays.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...659/ben-banogu

Apparently they didn't like Banogu at LB, so they are making him a full time DE.

Racehorse 06-26-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 122850)
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...659/ben-banogu

Apparently they didn't like Banogu at LB, so they are making him a full time DE.

I didn't read it like that. I see it as they see him as a pass rusher, but wanted to try him out at LB, too. That way they could put him on the depth chart when camp cuts happen and know if he can slide over, if needed.

Chromeburn 06-26-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 122850)
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...659/ben-banogu

Apparently they didn't like Banogu at LB, so they are making him a full time DE.

I think it was just that he flashed something at DE. I expect he will see some snaps at LB. Also see him as a candidate that will drop into coverage and the flat at times. Ballard just did an interview talking about all the versatile players they wanted. When they drafted Quincy Wilson they didn't realize how football smart he was and they had him at 5 different positions his rookie year. Because the rosters are so limited numbers-wise they wanted guys that could cover multiple positions if there is an emergency on game day. He also talked about how the defensive scheme is simple, but also predicated on deception. And having guys that can play multiple positions adds to that deception.

JAFF 06-26-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 122887)
I think it was just that he flashed something at DE. I expect he will see some snaps at LB. Also see him as a candidate that will drop into coverage and the flat at times. Ballard just did an interview talking about all the versatile players they wanted. When they drafted Quincy Wilson they didn't realize how football smart he was and they had him at 5 different positions his rookie year. Because the rosters are so limited numbers-wise they wanted guys that could cover multiple positions if there is an emergency on game day. He also talked about how the defensive scheme is simple, but also predicated on deception. And having guys that can play multiple positions adds to that deception.

Just tossing this out. Leonard had a few sacks on the blitz. They have his clone one the other side. More fun and games with the zone blitz?

Chromeburn 06-27-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 122890)
Just tossing this out. Leonard had a few sacks on the blitz. They have his clone one the other side. More fun and games with the zone blitz?

Yeah, although we don't really run a 'zone blitz' like say the Steelers or Ravens, but I get what you are saying. Zone blitz requires the defensive player to read and adjust, our scheme the players responsibility is set, we just disguise it. Eberflus really runs his own unique defense loosely based on that tampa 2. I think he was complaining he did not have the personnel to do what he wanted hence the results of this latest draft. When it comes to players Ballard likes high character, top of the stat sheet athletiscm, and visible results against top competition (why we like the senior bowl players and other similar bowls). After that I think this was a lot of what Eberflus desired. The players responsibilities are simple so young players can adapt quickly and react more than think. But with a lot of versatility in the roster, on any given play you may not know who is doing what, where the deception part comes in.

Say on a passing down you have Leonard, Okereke, Banagu, Houston, Lewis, and Kenny on the field at the line of scrimmage along with the rest of the package. Who is going to rush the passer and who is dropping. It makes pre-snap reads very difficult, and if the QB is wrong, he starts to doubt what he is seeing and analyzing. Then you have responsibility disguises like what the Rams did against Brady in the SB early. Pretending you are playing man, then breaking off into zone, or vice versa. That gave Brady fits, and if their defensive gameplan wasn't so good, they would have lost. That and he would sling it up to Edelman who was uncoverable. To read something like that you need time in the pocket, and Brady wants to get rid of that ball early. That gave Aaron Donald time to get in his face.

The Ravens do this really well, and they were a defense I thought was very scary in the playoffs. Almost their whole D lined up at the line of scrimmage, you had no idea who was doing what until after the snap. They just have no offense and a serious project at QB. If that offense catches up, they could be dangerous.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.