ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2019 Draft Class (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72654)

Racehorse 06-26-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 122850)
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...659/ben-banogu

Apparently they didn't like Banogu at LB, so they are making him a full time DE.

I didn't read it like that. I see it as they see him as a pass rusher, but wanted to try him out at LB, too. That way they could put him on the depth chart when camp cuts happen and know if he can slide over, if needed.

Chromeburn 06-26-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 122850)
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/n...659/ben-banogu

Apparently they didn't like Banogu at LB, so they are making him a full time DE.

I think it was just that he flashed something at DE. I expect he will see some snaps at LB. Also see him as a candidate that will drop into coverage and the flat at times. Ballard just did an interview talking about all the versatile players they wanted. When they drafted Quincy Wilson they didn't realize how football smart he was and they had him at 5 different positions his rookie year. Because the rosters are so limited numbers-wise they wanted guys that could cover multiple positions if there is an emergency on game day. He also talked about how the defensive scheme is simple, but also predicated on deception. And having guys that can play multiple positions adds to that deception.

JAFF 06-26-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 122887)
I think it was just that he flashed something at DE. I expect he will see some snaps at LB. Also see him as a candidate that will drop into coverage and the flat at times. Ballard just did an interview talking about all the versatile players they wanted. When they drafted Quincy Wilson they didn't realize how football smart he was and they had him at 5 different positions his rookie year. Because the rosters are so limited numbers-wise they wanted guys that could cover multiple positions if there is an emergency on game day. He also talked about how the defensive scheme is simple, but also predicated on deception. And having guys that can play multiple positions adds to that deception.

Just tossing this out. Leonard had a few sacks on the blitz. They have his clone one the other side. More fun and games with the zone blitz?

Chromeburn 06-27-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 122890)
Just tossing this out. Leonard had a few sacks on the blitz. They have his clone one the other side. More fun and games with the zone blitz?

Yeah, although we don't really run a 'zone blitz' like say the Steelers or Ravens, but I get what you are saying. Zone blitz requires the defensive player to read and adjust, our scheme the players responsibility is set, we just disguise it. Eberflus really runs his own unique defense loosely based on that tampa 2. I think he was complaining he did not have the personnel to do what he wanted hence the results of this latest draft. When it comes to players Ballard likes high character, top of the stat sheet athletiscm, and visible results against top competition (why we like the senior bowl players and other similar bowls). After that I think this was a lot of what Eberflus desired. The players responsibilities are simple so young players can adapt quickly and react more than think. But with a lot of versatility in the roster, on any given play you may not know who is doing what, where the deception part comes in.

Say on a passing down you have Leonard, Okereke, Banagu, Houston, Lewis, and Kenny on the field at the line of scrimmage along with the rest of the package. Who is going to rush the passer and who is dropping. It makes pre-snap reads very difficult, and if the QB is wrong, he starts to doubt what he is seeing and analyzing. Then you have responsibility disguises like what the Rams did against Brady in the SB early. Pretending you are playing man, then breaking off into zone, or vice versa. That gave Brady fits, and if their defensive gameplan wasn't so good, they would have lost. That and he would sling it up to Edelman who was uncoverable. To read something like that you need time in the pocket, and Brady wants to get rid of that ball early. That gave Aaron Donald time to get in his face.

The Ravens do this really well, and they were a defense I thought was very scary in the playoffs. Almost their whole D lined up at the line of scrimmage, you had no idea who was doing what until after the snap. They just have no offense and a serious project at QB. If that offense catches up, they could be dangerous.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.