ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   With the third pick.... (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31652)

rcubed 01-02-2018 12:23 PM

With the third pick....

What would you do with the third pick?

rcubed 01-02-2018 12:30 PM

I am finding it harder to pass up Barkley. I know I shouldn't draft a RB that high with our line issues, but he does look awesome. Draft him, build the line with best FA available and some picks over the next two years....

If ballard truly goes with BPA, I could see him pick barkley.

In the end, I would probably pick chubb though.

Hoopsdoc 01-02-2018 12:42 PM

Chubb please. Pass rush, inside linebacker, pass rush would be my first three picks in the upcoming draft.

albany ed 01-02-2018 12:42 PM

If a marquee QB is still there, you might get a 1, 3 and a 1 next year for the pick.

Hoopsdoc 01-02-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 49674)
If a marquee QB is still there, you might get a 1, 3 and a 1 next year for the pick.

That’s a great point. I guess it all depends on who Ballard likes and how badly a team would want that qb.

I still say if Chubb is still there, you have to take him.

Dam8610 01-02-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 49673)
Chubb please. Pass rush, inside linebacker, pass rush would be my first three picks in the upcoming draft.

If they stay with 3-4, my hope is they'll go LB for at least rounds 1-4. Address the other positions in free agency.

As for who, Chubb seems to be the hot name right now, and I like the consistent production in a power conference. I've also heard some still believe Key is the best pass rusher in this draft, though he missed a decent amount of time this year and wasn't incredibly productive in the time he played.

Coltsalr 01-02-2018 12:48 PM

Trade it away.

There's talent to be had in the early-middle 1st round, particularly at OL and LB.

Maniac 01-02-2018 12:50 PM

If they can trade back and get a ton of picks while still staying in the top 10, then do that and get Nelson. Otherwise stay there and get Chubb.

jasperhobbs 01-02-2018 01:05 PM

I can't see Chubb being a top ten pick. Barkley yes

Puck 01-02-2018 01:22 PM

Fitzpatrick

sherck 01-02-2018 03:16 PM

I voted trade back.

Stockpile more 1st and 2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts (prefer them in this year's draft) and then pick the best available OT with whatever pick we end up sticking with.

Pick OLB[RUSH] in the 2nd round along with other picks if we have them from trade (ILB, OG are top of my list after OLB).

We have a lot of holes to fill. Getting one stud is nice if he works out. Getting a shot at 3 or 4 studs is even better even if their ceiling is lower than the kid picked at #3.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007 01-02-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 49726)
I voted trade back.

Stockpile more 1st and 2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts (prefer them in this year's draft) and then pick the best available OT with whatever pick we end up sticking with.

Pick OLB[RUSH] in the 2nd round along with other picks if we have them from trade (ILB, OG are top of my list after OLB).

We have a lot of holes to fill. Getting one stud is nice if he works out. Getting a shot at 3 or 4 studs is even better even if their ceiling is lower than the kid picked at #3.

Walk Worthy,

That would be nice, but I don't think the offers will be there. They blew their chance by missing out on the 2nd pick.

If the 1st two picks are Rosen/Darnold, would you really offer that kind of package to move up to #3 as an opposing GM?

Racehorse 01-02-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 49676)
That’s a great point. I guess it all depends on who Ballard likes and how badly a team would want that qb.

I still say if Chubb is still there, you have to take him.

Jests, Denver and maybe Miami may be in the market for a QB and our pick.

Racehorse 01-02-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 49677)
If they stay with 3-4, my hope is they'll go LB for at least rounds 1-4. Address the other positions in free agency.

As for who, Chubb seems to be the hot name right now, and I like the consistent production in a power conference. I've also heard some still believe Key is the best pass rusher in this draft, though he missed a decent amount of time this year and wasn't incredibly productive in the time he played.

I forget the name, but Georgia has a really good LB that I'd like to see. Not in the first round, though

Coltsalr 01-02-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 49747)
I forget the name, but Georgia has a really good LB that I'd like to see. Not in the first round, though

Roquan Smith, but he'll go in the 1st round, possibly the first half of the 1st round it appears.

I'd definitely be very interested if we trade back.

testcase448 01-02-2018 04:56 PM

I voted for Chubb, barring a block buster trade, at least two 1's and a couple 2's
I wouldn't mind that RB from Louisiana in a later round
Kid has heart

ukcolt 01-02-2018 04:57 PM

Pointless to discuss too much at this point in time, need to wait until free agency has started and what positions we have addressed.

I personally think that Chubb is the most likely pick if we stay at No. 3 as it is easier to find a decent guard in free agency than a true pass rushing threat. I also think that Barkley will end up being great, but not with the current offensive line. We HAVE to address the offensive line to enable proper production from our offense, both from a rushing and passing standpoint.

I am ok with Castonzo, Kelly, Haeg and Good, along with Clark, Person and probably Bond as a group of guys to be added to. There are probably 3 guys who are going to be acceptable as starters, but there needs to be a big injection of talent to the starting line.

DrSpaceman 01-02-2018 05:30 PM

At the very least you have to explore trading back.

You have a top 3 pick and there are several potential franchise QBs that teams will be considering trading up for, so you have to at least ask.

Now will the price and moving down be worth it? I don't know. But the first thing you do with this pick is see if you can turn it into more. It has the potential to be the type of trade that can be used to turn around a franchise with a big haul.

If its not traded and the 3rd pick is used I would be OK with Chudd or Nelson.

No to a RB at this spot no matter how good they might be.

nate505 01-02-2018 05:45 PM

I would trade back all day and every day.

Hopefully a team desperate for a QB does it.

Unless it looks like the Colts will need one, which I'm really hoping isn't the case (and don't think it will be).

I also have the suspicion that Irsay will push for Barkley hard as well, and I'm sorta resigning myself to that pick.

Racehorse 01-02-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 49763)
At the very least you have to explore trading back.

You have a top 3 pick and there are several potential franchise QBs that teams will be considering trading up for, so you have to at least ask.

Now will the price and moving down be worth it? I don't know. But the first thing you do with this pick is see if you can turn it into more. It has the potential to be the type of trade that can be used to turn around a franchise with a big haul.

If its not traded and the 3rd pick is used I would be OK with Chudd or Nelson.

No to a RB at this spot no matter how good they might be.

I am with you on Chubb or Nelson. I know some say you can't draft a guard that high, but if it solves a huge problem, then so be it.

Further, I would prefer to not go RB in the first round, hoping for Gore to go one more year, but if Gore leaves, then we'll have to "do something, Grigs!:

Racehorse 01-02-2018 05:47 PM

Oh, and Mayfield is going to get drafted pretty high, even if Rosen and Darnold come out. This means that our pick could have value even if the first two go QB.

Pez 01-02-2018 06:37 PM

I dont want to see a RB in 1st round either. I think Gore will be back and I like to believe that Ballard and someone not named Pagano will look to do a better job with his development.

My simple opinion is that we look at free agency, pay big $$ for a lineman. Then trade down and draft two more early. Gore and Mack will be serviceable behind an improved line.

The colts have tons of problems. Addressing the OL in an aggressive and definitive way solves more problems than addressing anywhere else.

omahacolt 01-02-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 49679)
Trade it away.

There's talent to be had in the early-middle 1st round, particularly at OL and LB.

no

we need playmakers. not just solid dudes

njcoltfan 01-02-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 49733)
That would be nice, but I don't think the offers will be there. They blew their chance by missing out on the 2nd pick.

If the 1st two picks are Rosen/Darnold, would you really offer that kind of package to move up to #3 as an opposing GM?

Mark my words, Cleveland is going to take Barkley with the first pick, the Giants will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold, Colts will take ???, and the Browns will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. Darnold and Rosen have yet to declare for the draft, so this prediction is based on if they do.

VeveJones007 01-02-2018 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 49793)
Mark my words, Cleveland is going to take Barkley with the first pick, the Giants will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold, Colts will take ???, and the Browns will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. Darnold and Rosen have yet to declare for the draft, so this prediction is based on if they do.

Browns will take their choice of QB at 1 and then get Barkley at 4. Your way doesn’t make sense for them.

njcoltfan 01-02-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 49813)
Browns will take their choice of QB at 1 and then get Barkley at 4. Your way doesn’t make sense for them.

Unless they think the Colts are gonna take him.

rcubed 01-02-2018 10:04 PM

No, QB is too important and they have screwed it up too many times. They wont just take whats left at 4. They will choose the one they want at hope barkley is there at 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 49793)

VeveJones007 01-02-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njcoltfan (Post 49826)
Unless they think the Colts are gonna take him.

No team goes into a draft with three QBs with the exact same grade. They’ll have a higher grade on one of the QBs and take him 1st.

YDFL Commish 01-02-2018 11:13 PM

I had to go BPA, and that is Barkely.

Indiana V2 01-03-2018 12:10 AM

Is Barkley even go to be there at three? The way people talk about him he may go 1st overall.

FatDT 01-03-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 49848)
Is Barkley even go to be there at three? The way people talk about him he may go 1st overall.

No way two QBs aren't picked first and second.

Butter 01-03-2018 12:54 AM

Trade back build the trenches.

daedge 01-03-2018 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 49792)
no

Agreed. None of this trading down BS.

Coltsalr 01-03-2018 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 49792)
no

There’s playmakers to be had in the early-mid 1st Round.

Oldcolt 01-03-2018 06:59 AM

Denver and the Jets both need qbs. Trading a few spots down, especially if qbs go one and two, we should still get a blue chip player. I dont want to trade out of the top 5-6 picks

albany ed 01-03-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 49733)

I agree. This year there's a big difference between 1 and 2, if as expected, Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2. Even if the Browns and Giants don't want to draft a QB, they'd be crazy not to trade down. I hated seeing the Giants win which made me torn between rooting for my team and rooting against my team.

sherck 01-03-2018 08:45 AM

QB Needy Teams in the Top 15 Picks of 2018:

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

The thought that the #3 pick has little trade value but that the #2 pick had a lot is, I think, false.

Even if QBs go #1 and #2, there is little clear consensus that there are only 2 QBs who are worthy of being a top 5 pick. Sure, DEN or NYJ could just sit tight and hope that their guy falls to them but they also might want to come up and ensure that they get their guy.

Best non-QB pick in the draft? #3. You sure someone else is not going to want to come up for the right to pick Barkley? Or Chubb? Or Fitzpatrick? Or Nelson? Or Williams? Or whomever they are in love with? Heck, if CLE is indeed enamored with Barkley, they might trade up 1 spot to make sure that no one else gets him. Then that #4 pick is more in range for DEN and NYJ for QB.

We don't know how it is going to work out until April, but I think there will be a ton of trade offers for the #3 pick conditioned on how the first 2 picks go. Those all get worked out ahead of time and then triggered on draft day.

If Ballard picks a guy at #3, then he is convinced that the kid is a stud. Cool.

However, if Ballard wants to trade down, I have little doubt that he will find trade partners.

Walk Worthy,

Indiana V2 01-03-2018 08:56 AM

Another question, Cleveland drafted Kizer last draft, will they draft another one this season? I voted for trading the pick.

sherck 01-03-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana V2 (Post 49876)
Another question, Cleveland drafted Kizer last draft, will they draft another one this season? I voted for trading the pick.

CLE fans here in Dayton who are as fanatical about their interest in the Browns as I am in the Colts are convinced that the team is not invested in Kizer and will pick a QB with one of their top picks in 2018.

15 games started / 53.6% completion rate / 2,894 yards / 11 TD / 22 INT / 60.5 QB rating / 9 FUM / sacked 38 times

Granted, CLE as a whole always needs to be graded on a curve but those are not the stats of a kid whom inspires confidence.

For comparison with Jacoby Brisett in 2017:

15 games started / 58.8% completion rate / 3,098 yards / 13 TD / 07 INT / 81.7 QB rating / 8 FUM / sacked 52 times

I fully expect CLE to take QB #1 overall.

Walk Worthy,

DrSpaceman 01-03-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 49765)
I am with you on Chubb or Nelson. I know some say you can't draft a guard that high, but if it solves a huge problem, then so be it.

Further, I would prefer to not go RB in the first round, hoping for Gore to go one more year, but if Gore leaves, then we'll have to "do something, Grigs!:

I would be surprised if Gore is back next year.

Going into a season with a #1 RB 34 years old is just asking for problems.

Plus with a new GM making a decision on his contract and likely wanting a new direction for the team, I don't see it happening.

Gore has been perfectly fine as the #1 back. But I would like to see more than someone who can churn out 3-4 yards per carry and chug away for the usual 50-70 yards a game. I know he had a few 100 yard games, but those were outliers.

Of course upgrading the OL would help that, but changing to a younger, faster RB group would as well.