ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Head Coaching Search (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31733)

Racehorse 01-29-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 53600)
Interesting premise, but I think it's more the damage is more severe than reported all along. OR even more likely the surgery was wasn't completely successful.

Asylum let you back on the tablet?

DrSpaceman 01-29-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 53578)
I'm one of the more pessimistic people on this board and, no, I don't believe that. Andrew Luck would have had to have lied to everyone this entire time and I don't think he's the type of person who could/would do that. I'm not piling on, it's a good question.

/TY had a good catch in the Pro Bowl if anyone cares

He wouldn't have had to lie to anyone really.

Heck Ballard and Irsay may even have been aware, with a wink and a nudge, and gone along with it.

Just after reading what he was doing in Europe for 2-3 months, which seemed to be nothing but rehab, no other procedures or interventions, and the fact there does not seem to be in other procedure planned to for further repair, it makes me think he and the front office were just being cautious and decided it wasn't worth the risk this season and just all came to an "understanding" that he is not "100%" and would, gosh darn it, just have to wait until next season.

DrSpaceman 01-29-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by testcase448 (Post 53600)
Interesting premise, but I think it's more the damage is more severe than reported all along. OR even more likely the surgery was wasn't completely successful.

If the surgery were not successful he I think he would have gone back for more surgery by now.

Now he could have and we just did not hear about it, but as of now we have no reports of that happening.

Maniac 01-29-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 53644)
He wouldn't have had to lie to anyone really.

Heck Ballard and Irsay may even have been aware, with a wink and a nudge, and gone along with it.

Just after reading what he was doing in Europe for 2-3 months, which seemed to be nothing but rehab, no other procedures or interventions, and the fact there does not seem to be in other procedure planned to for further repair, it makes me think he and the front office were just being cautious and decided it wasn't worth the risk this season and just all came to an "understanding" that he is not "100%" and would, gosh darn it, just have to wait until next season.

Or they are telling the truth, that his surgery went fine and his shoulder is structurally sound, but he was experiencing pain when he started throwing, likely due to the surgeon not cutting and relocating the bicep tendon causing it to pull on that area and cause him pain. Luck said that he is feeling much better from the rehab in europe, so it may well have just taken some extra time and rehab work to get rid of that discomfort.

Racehorse 01-29-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusChrist (Post 53669)
Or they are telling the truth, that his surgery went fine and his shoulder is structurally sound, but he was experiencing pain when he started throwing, likely due to the surgeon not cutting and relocating the bicep tendon causing it to pull on that area and cause him pain. Luck said that he is feeling much better from the rehab in europe, so it may well have just taken some extra time and rehab work to get rid of that discomfort.

Jesus, always seeing the good in people. How nice of you!

Puck 01-29-2018 09:16 PM

I think he wanted Pags gone as much as the rest of us and said I'll come back once Pagfuck is fired

Indystu2 01-30-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 53680)
I think he wanted Pags gone as much as the rest of us and said I'll come back once Pagfuck is fired

I said " Doc, it hurts when I do this" Doc said, "Don't do that"

Meaning: if you are getting your @ss handed to you behind that O line and terrible scheme, stop doing that!

Coltsalr 01-30-2018 06:26 PM

@RapSheet
The head coach isn’t official yet, but his assistants are getting there. I’m told the #Colts have signed respected OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo to coach their O-line. He was most recently coaching the #Dolphins.

DeGugliemo has sort of a meh reputation here in New England. He got absolutely killed by the media/fans at the beginning of 2014 (his first year of coaching after Scarnecchia “retired”) when the Pats dropped two and in particular Brady got killed by Miami/KC. The OL did stabilize and they did win the Super Bowl that year. He also was the OL coach when they got abused by Denver in the AFCCG.

So yeah, his tenure was bookended by OL collapses. In between though, they held up.

sherck 01-31-2018 08:27 AM

Offensive performances of the Cheats:

2017 / 4,617 passing / 35 sacks taken / 5.6% sack rate / 1,889 rushing / 4.2 ypc
2016 / 4,454 passing / 24 sacks taken / 4.2% sack rate / 1,872 rushing / 3.9 ypc
2015 / 4,812 passing / 38 sacks taken / 5.7% sack rate / 1,404 rushing / 3.7 ypc
2014 / 4,291 passing / 26 sacks taken / 4.1% sack rate / 1,727 rushing / 3.9 ypc
2013 / 4,343 passing / 40 sacks taken / 6.0% sack rate / 2,065 rushing / 4.4 ypc
2012 / 4,844 passing / 27 sacks taken / 4.1% sack rate / 2,184 rushing / 4.2 ypc

[[Goodness, Ying or Yang seasons for sack rates. One good followed by one bad.]]

DeGuglielmo was the Cheats O-Line coach in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know what to think. He has been let go / not re-signed by 2 different teams in the past two seasons; the Cheats in 2016 and the Dolphins in 2017. Obviously, he is not a hot prospect right now.

However, here are the Colts sack rates from 2017 going back to 2012: 10.0% / 7.0% / 5.6% / 4.2% / 5.3% / 6.1%.

From a low of 2014 (ending our 3-in-a-row 11 win seasons), we have jumped greatly over the past 3 seasons. Looking back at DeGuglielmo's history (rough because they are different systems and different QBs), his coached lines have never given up a sack rate of more than 6.2%.

DeGuglielmo has been the only Cheats O-Line coach not named Dante Scarnecchia since 1999. Scarnecchia "retired" in 2013 but came out of retirement in 2016 once the Cheats parted ways with DeGuglielmo to take the offensive line back over.

McDaniels only has first hand experience with the following O-Line coaches:

Scarnecchia the Cheats current O-Line coach
DeGuglielmo
Rick Dennison (2009 DEN O-Line coach) who was the BUF O-Coordinator in 2017 but has been moved back to be the BUF O-Line coach and Run Game Coordinator for 2018.
Clancy Barone (2010 DEN O-Line coach) who has been a long time TE coach (since 2005) with 1 year of O-Line coaching experience in 2010 in Denver and the current MIN TE coach.

This feels like a "I know this guy" type of hire rather than a "I LOVE this guy" type of hire.

He is familiar with the offensive system McDaniels plans on running and that has to count for quite a bit. He knows from day one what he is looking for in players and how to get them ready to block in the scheme that we will be running.

Perhaps it is as simple as that. But I am not seeing a highly successful coach's resume here.

Walk Worthy,

Coltsalr 01-31-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 53811)
Offensive performances of the Cheats:

2017 / 4,617 passing / 35 sacks taken / 5.6% sack rate / 1,889 rushing / 4.2 ypc
2016 / 4,454 passing / 24 sacks taken / 4.2% sack rate / 1,872 rushing / 3.9 ypc
2015 / 4,812 passing / 38 sacks taken / 5.7% sack rate / 1,404 rushing / 3.7 ypc
2014 / 4,291 passing / 26 sacks taken / 4.1% sack rate / 1,727 rushing / 3.9 ypc
2013 / 4,343 passing / 40 sacks taken / 6.0% sack rate / 2,065 rushing / 4.4 ypc
2012 / 4,844 passing / 27 sacks taken / 4.1% sack rate / 2,184 rushing / 4.2 ypc

[[Goodness, Ying or Yang seasons for sack rates. One good followed by one bad.]]

DeGuglielmo was the Cheats O-Line coach in 2015 and 2016.

I don't know what to think. He has been let go / not re-signed by 2 different teams in the past two seasons; the Cheats in 2016 and the Dolphins in 2017. Obviously, he is not a hot prospect right now.

However, here are the Colts sack rates from 2017 going back to 2012: 10.0% / 7.0% / 5.6% / 4.2% / 5.3% / 6.1%.

From a low of 2014 (ending our 3-in-a-row 11 win seasons), we have jumped greatly over the past 3 seasons. Looking back at DeGuglielmo's history (rough because they are different systems and different QBs), his coached lines have never given up a sack rate of more than 6.2%.

DeGuglielmo has been the only Cheats O-Line coach not named Dante Scarnecchia since 1999. Scarnecchia "retired" in 2013 but came out of retirement in 2016 once the Cheats parted ways with DeGuglielmo to take the offensive line back over.

McDaniels only has first hand experience with the following O-Line coaches:

Scarnecchia the Cheats current O-Line coach
DeGuglielmo
Rick Dennison (2009 DEN O-Line coach) who was the BUF O-Coordinator in 2017 but has been moved back to be the BUF O-Line coach and Run Game Coordinator for 2018.
Clancy Barone (2010 DEN O-Line coach) who has been a long time TE coach (since 2005) with 1 year of O-Line coaching experience in 2010 in Denver and the current MIN TE coach.

This feels like a "I know this guy" type of hire rather than a "I LOVE this guy" type of hire.

He is familiar with the offensive system McDaniels plans on running and that has to count for quite a bit. He knows from day one what he is looking for in players and how to get them ready to block in the scheme that we will be running.

Perhaps it is as simple as that. But I am not seeing a highly successful coach's resume here.

Walk Worthy,

2014 and 2015 for the Cheats, just for clarification.