ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What are the odds we have a season? (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102840)

HoosierinFL 06-20-2020 09:09 PM

What are the odds we have a season?

This shit shows no signs of slowing down, and wherever they try and reopen like here in Florida, it just takes off again.
College teams are reporting multiple players testing positive. No one is talking about the fact that for some of them, their athletic career is over due to complications.
Herd immunity is not a thing with this, nor are we even sure antibodies are effective.
There's no way to play in front of crowds, but when considering the number of people who are affiliated with a team and the playing of game (players, coaches, trainers, assistants, refs, production crew, NFL personnel) its impossible to prevent an outbreak. One positive player breathing heavy could infect an entire locker room at halftime.
I just don't see how its gonna happen.

Brylok 06-20-2020 09:35 PM

I didn't see see it happening to be honest. I read some headlines earlier today about football players at various SEC schools (can't remember which ones)being infected and about the Phillies having like 10 players infected. The NBA is having trouble with players not wanting to risk themselves and MLB can't get players to agree to financial terms, etc. It's still spreading like wildflower and we're still in the first wave. Expecting 200K+ dead by end of August. So, no, I'm not optimistic. Maybe 20% chance.

Dam8610 06-21-2020 12:19 AM

My heart says 100%, my head says close to 0%.

BCN#1 06-21-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 163039)
My heart says 100%, my head says close to 0%.

Starting to agree with this thought. Seeing this morning on the news that players on the Suxs, Broncxxx, Ratbirds and Texicans are now testing positive. Gonna be a long wait for football methinks. :eek:

Oldcolt 06-21-2020 10:51 AM

I agree that a season is a long shot. If there is no season what do you think happens to contracts, how do you evaluate college players and have a draft? If it turns out that we have two years between seasons I'm pretty happy with who our front office is. Long time without football though.

Maniac 06-21-2020 11:20 AM

Even if there is a season, it's going to be a clusterf*ck. What happens when your star players test positive, or someone has it and infects 10 other players and they're all out and you don't have enough to field a team? Just forfeit? It's going to be a complete mess.

I wouldn't play fantasy football or gamble on any of the games this year.

Chromeburn 06-21-2020 03:45 PM

We might have games. I think they will see what the other sports do and how it works out. But this thing isn’t going away anytime soon.

daedge 06-21-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 163056)
We might have games. I think they will see what the other sports do and how it works out. But this thing isn’t going away anytime soon.

Bang on. The reality is, with the huge number of infected in the US, this isn't going away in an age. Essentially, you're going to have to live with it. Because the time to control it and get on top of it is long, long gone.

Opportunity blown.

I could be wrong, but the NFL is a stubborn outfit and they're going to press on regardless, albeit with no fans at games.

Speaking of fans, that's something we've been able to have at rugby games here, including 43,000 last weekend. The only active cases here now - there are nine - have been caught at the border and they're in isolation. Not since early April has there been community spread, hence why we're practically living a normal life and the only restrictions here are at the border.

I'm still pissed our trip to the US is off. Hopefully it's fine to travel there October next year.

Stay safe, freaks.

apballin 06-21-2020 11:03 PM

I still say we have a season, NFL is too powerful and will set the rules or make sure they’re adjusted just for them. Now whether it’s fans or not I’m not confident in that

JAFF 06-22-2020 07:23 AM

As long as people don’t wear masks, wont wash their hands repeatedly during the day, and Keep sensible social distancing, this virus will continue to move and it’s gonna be very hard to open up big facilities with lots of people.

Ironshaft 06-22-2020 10:53 AM

I think that there is too much money involved for there not to be a season.

None of the NFL players are in any of the risk categories. Age, diabetes, asthma, other medical conditions leading to compromise. None of them have any of them.

My guess is that there will be protocols for those who find themselves COVID positive and in the infectious stage during the week. They will have to take 2 or 3 weeks off.

However, once a player has been positive and is out of the infectious stage, I suspect they will be allowed to play no issues.

I think there will be a season of televised games with no crowds in the stadium which will allow the money to continue to flow

Now college football? Yeah, I see it being cancelled because the colleges are much more likely to cave to public pressure (see OK State coach) in the attempt to appease the social media masses. I don't think they will probably play and that means next year's draft will be a cluster.

But the NFL? I expect to see a season out of them in 2020 / 2021.

YDFL Commish 06-22-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 163084)
None of the NFL players are in any of the risk categories. Age, diabetes, asthma, other medical conditions leading to compromise. None of them have any of them.

There are NFL players that have played with asthma conditions. If I'm not mistaken Mark Andrews is a diabetic as well. So their a serious health concerns for a select few.

Dam8610 06-22-2020 03:21 PM

Von Miller has asthma and apparently has already had COVID-19.

The thing about COVID-19 that makes it extra difficult to navigate for having pro sporting events is that it's not just about the death rate. This thing does damage in some cases that would end an athlete's career. There's a possibility that a star player could get it, not die, but have to retire because his lungs are destroyed. That's why I'm not very confident about a season being played.

Maniac 06-22-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironshaft (Post 163084)
I think that there is too much money involved for there not to be a season.

My guess is that there will be protocols for those who find themselves COVID positive and in the infectious stage during the week. They will have to take 2 or 3 weeks off.

However, once a player has been positive and is out of the infectious stage, I suspect they will be allowed to play no issues.

I think there will be a season of televised games with no crowds in the stadium which will allow the money to continue to flow

Now college football? Yeah, I see it being cancelled because the colleges are much more likely to cave to public pressure (see OK State coach) in the attempt to appease the social media masses. I don't think they will probably play and that means next year's draft will be a cluster.

But the NFL? I expect to see a season out of them in 2020 / 2021.

There are absolutely players with health conditions that may be affected worse than others. Even if you don't have health conditions, there are no guarantees that you may not get a severe case. It may be unlikely that they would, but it's not 100% guarantee by any means.

How are you going to tell when a player is out of the infectuous stage? with covid, they can be infectuous even without a fever. I don't think there is any way they let anyone testing positive play. Not only for the impossible task of trying to determine if they are infectuous, but for the legal liability as well. The NFL does NOT want to deal with a bunch of legal headaches.

They will have a season, but people are going to be sitting out, possibly star players, and possibly multiple players, coaches, trainers, etc as well. It's going to be a mess.

HoosierinFL 06-22-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 163096)
Von Miller has asthma and apparently has already had COVID-19.

The thing about COVID-19 that makes it extra difficult to navigate for having pro sporting events is that it's not just about the death rate. This thing does damage in some cases that would end an athlete's career. There's a possibility that a star player could get it, not die, but have to retire because his lungs are destroyed. That's why I'm not very confident about a season being played.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, many healthy young adults don’t die, but will have permanent health effects like lung problems, heart rhythm irregularities, clotting problems, autoimmune reactions, etc.

rcubed 06-22-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 163086)
There are NFL players that have played with asthma conditions. If I'm not mistaken Mark Andrews is a diabetic as well. So their a serious health concerns for a select few.

Yeah I hate that argument. Just because you are not necessarily in the highest category for risk of death doesnt mean you wont have health issues, possibly long term issues. Or just simply being someone who passes it on to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brylok 06-22-2020 06:43 PM

Most of the owners are geriatric. If Jerry Jones, Irsay, Kraft, whoever got the virus, I doubt they'd come out of it very well. I'd imagine they'd prefer to live.
As an aside, I've watched a couple of English soccer games with no fans present. It is very odd, especially with the piped-in crowd noise during the games. Reaction effects, cheering, whistling/booing, etc...and not a soul is there. Just weird.

JAFF 06-22-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 163105)
That’s exactly what I’m talking about, many healthy young adults don’t die, but will have permanent health effects like lung problems, heart rhythm irregularities, clotting problems, autoimmune reactions, etc.

Yeah, that's not true. They do die. More survive, but they have LIFE LONG problems because their lungs will be damaged and fixing it is really difficult.

If you wind up in the hospital you are luck you get out if your are some old fart. You get out when you are in your 30s, it may not be worth it. This virus is a MOFO and it if it rears its ugly head, isn't kind.

Brylok 06-23-2020 03:45 AM

"Post whore" status achieved after changing my sig. That's just swell. I guess I'mma have to drive up to Tennessee and take racehorse out for a drink after equaling his status. Most of my posts are in game threads (I actually watch the games, unlike a lot of you people). Worlds are colliding...! Brylok is getting upset!

njcoltfan 06-23-2020 05:57 AM

slim to none

JAFF 06-23-2020 11:58 AM

One group I believe we forgot about when looking at those at risk. Many of the coaching staff of every team are 45 to 65+. Years old.

Maniac 06-23-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 163137)
One group I believe we forgot about when looking at those at risk. Many of the coaching staff of every team are 45 to 65+. Years old.

I mentioned the coaches in my last reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 163102)

They will have a season, but people are going to be sitting out, possibly star players, and possibly multiple players, coaches, trainers, etc as well. It's going to be a mess.

Chromeburn 06-23-2020 09:09 PM

I saw yesterday some woman called a teenager at Starbucks a nazi because he could not serve her unless she wore a mask.

Just read an article about the Kansas football team opening up and covid spread through the lockeroom and they had to shut things down again. Problem is one guy breathing hard could infect half the team at halftime. I don't know, I not real optimistic.

Brylok 06-23-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 163165)
I saw yesterday some woman called a teenager at Starbucks a nazi because he could not serve her unless she wore a mask..

Only in Amerikkka could something as simple as wearing a facemask inside of a public place, during a pandemic no less, become a political issue. Buncha frickin morons we've become. We are a profoundly stupid people.

Maniac 06-23-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 163167)
Only in Amerikkka could something as simple as wearing a facemask inside of a public place, during a pandemic no less, become a political issue. Buncha frickin morons we've become. We are a profoundly stupid people.

It doesn't help when politicians are fueling the flames of division among people for their own political gain.

Brylok 06-24-2020 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 163168)
It doesn't help when politicians are fueling the flames of division among people for their own political gain.

Yup. So do whatever YOU can do. Wear a mask. Wash your hands several times throughout the day. The virus doesn't care about what you support politically.

HoosierinFL 06-24-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 163113)
Yeah, that's not true. They do die. More survive, but they have LIFE LONG problems because their lungs will be damaged and fixing it is really difficult.

If you wind up in the hospital you are luck you get out if your are some old fart. You get out when you are in your 30s, it may not be worth it. This virus is a MOFO and it if it rears its ugly head, isn't kind.

Not sure what I said isn't true, you just repeated what I said. Many young people don't die (which implies some do) and many that don't die have lifelong health problems: lungs, clotting disorder, autoimmune reaction.

TheMugwump 06-24-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 163186)
Not sure what I said isn't true, you just repeated what I said. Many young people don't die (which implies some do) and many that don't die have lifelong health problems: lungs, clotting disorder, autoimmune reaction.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Nice summation though...

And as for a season, odds are real low and getting lower. As several have stated, it would be a lot more likely if folks would get onboard with taking precautions, but 'murica' and all...

apballin 06-25-2020 10:18 AM

Kentucky just got approved to have fans for the Derby, id day this is a good sign

Maniac 06-25-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apballin (Post 163225)
Kentucky just got approved to have fans for the Derby, id day this is a good sign

That's a couple months away. Things can change in a hurry with this virus spreading.

apballin 06-25-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 163233)
That's a couple months away. Things can change in a hurry with this virus spreading.

The fact it got the green light at all is a victory to me

smitty46953 06-25-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

With those hats the women wear 6 foot social distancing should not be an issue? LOL :cool:

Colts And Orioles 06-25-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Kentucky just got approved to have fans for the Derby, I'd say that this is a good sign.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 163233)

That's a couple of months away. Things can change in a hurry with this virus spreading.

o

New York State is a prime example of that ........ we've literally gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in a 2 and-a-half month span regarding percentage rates for new cases of the virus.

o

HoosierinFL 06-27-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles (Post 163261)
o

New York State is a prime example of that ........ we've literally gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in a 2 and-a-half month span regarding percentage rates for new cases of the virus.

o

Meanwhile Florida opened up and we are setting new records every day.

Brylok 06-28-2020 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 163317)
Meanwhile Florida opened up and we are setting new records every day.

Get yourself some protection, Hoosier. I bought a pack of 25 triple-ply surgical facemasks at Walmart after work yesterday for $17.89 or something. I sure didn't want to pay that much, but the fall is coming, and we're going to have an explosion of more cases. Need to buy a box of latex gloves as well, stockpile TP, and probably some sort of eye protection. We're probably going to have more than 2 million dead before this is over. Smh. Be safe.

JAFF 06-28-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 163321)
Get yourself some protection, Hoosier. I bought a pack of 25 triple-ply surgical facemasks at Walmart after work yesterday for $17.89 or something. I sure didn't want to pay that much, but the fall is coming, and we're going to have an explosion of more cases. Need to buy a box of latex gloves as well, stockpile TP, and probably some sort of eye protection. We're probably going to have more than 2 million dead before this is over. Smh. Be safe.

Stockpile TP? Cant eat it. Stockpile can goods.

Brylok 06-28-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 163333)
Stockpile TP? Cant eat it. Stockpile can goods.

Meh, my bunghole comfort is more important to me than can goods. It's a matter of opinion though.

rcubed 06-28-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 163340)
Meh, my bunghole comfort is more important to me than can goods. It's a matter of opinion though.

Doesn’t one lead to the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAFF 06-28-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 163340)

If there is no food, theres nothing for your bunghole to do. No need for TP either.

BCN#1 07-05-2020 09:08 AM

As some have mentioned, I am thinking now the season will go forward but with empty stadiums and pushing those TV revenues to survive. Football in EU (Soccer) seems to work OK doing this... strange for sure but games are happening and TV viewers are there.