ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Brissett signs 2 year $30 million extension (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80788)

Workhorse 09-02-2019 05:30 PM

Brissett signs 2 year $30 million extension

$20 million guaranteed. Wow.

Luck4Reich 09-02-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workhorse (Post 129321)

Wow indeed.

Nice first post... Workhorse.. I believe that name goes way back? From another message board.

VeveJones007 09-02-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Smart move for all involved.

Hoopsdoc 09-02-2019 05:55 PM

Depending on the cap hit and potential dead cap money, it certainly is for the Colts.

I’m not sure if it is for Jacoby.

JAFF 09-02-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 129328)
Depending on the cap hit and potential dead cap money, it certainly is for the Colts.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2852109-jacoby-brissett-colts-reportedly-close-on-new-contract-after-luck-retirement

The quote below is from the article

Quote:

f anything, Indianapolis comes away as the winner from this move. Brissett's average salary will rank 19th among quarterbacks, and many of the players below him are QBs still on their rookie contracts.

In the event Brissett isn't ultimately the long-term successor to Luck, going in a different direction after the 2019 or 2020 seasons shouldn't be too difficult for the Colts.

Brissett might have cost himself some money down the road by agreeing to terms now, but the door will be open for him in two years to either get a hefty raise via the franchise tag or a longer, more lucrative extension.
I'm suprised he took the lower money. But he works out, the Colts caught a huge break

ChoppedWood 09-02-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Yeah I gotta believe this is a "we're going to make sure you feel like you are taken care of this year and we'll pay you well for your services now, but understand, it's on you, carry us to the promised land and we'll tear this up in Feb and start over and this will look like peanuts, but if you don't, this is all you're getting from us" type deal...

JAFF 09-02-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

If he plays well, and he doesn't sign an extention, they could be forced to put the franchise tag on him. Thats $15 million a year, all on that years cap.

VeveJones007 09-02-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 129340)
If he plays well, and he doesn't sign an extention, they could be forced to put the franchise tag on him. Thats $15 million a year, all on that years cap.

Closer to $18MM. Maybe $20MM next year.

For perspective, Mike Glennon got 3/$45MM from the Bears two years ago, then the Bears drafted Trubisky. Colts could take a similar path. This extension doesn’t prohibit any direction they decide to take.

VeveJones007 09-02-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 129330)
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2852109-jacoby-brissett-colts-reportedly-close-on-new-contract-after-luck-retirement

The quote below is from the article

I'm suprised he took the lower money. But he works out, the Colts caught a huge break

Holder says it’s a new two year deal ($30MM for 2019-2020). Makes a lot more sense for Brissett now.

Workhorse 09-02-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 129323)
Wow indeed.

Nice first post... Workhorse.. I believe that name goes way back? From another message board.

Ya, I’m the same workhorse from the first coltfreaks message board from years and years ago. It took a while for someone to approve me getting back in when the message board moved. 😳

Lawrence Owen 09-02-2019 06:58 PM

Considering I feel Brissett is a Prescott type player, And Dak wants $40 frieken mil now...I'd say this is a bargain.
Granted many will point out Brissett hasn't 'earned' starting $ yet..but the fact is, he is the starter, and should be getting more that what he was being paid.
Next year, Luck's contract will be basically void, (i think about 6.5 mil of signing bonus is paid, and that's it) So It's not like Indy is losing $$ in this deal in any way. They'll still have more cap space next year than this year..lol.

Butter 09-02-2019 06:59 PM

Clearly they believe in him and Reich calling him a top 20 QB was not him just BSing. With the CAP space we have I am good with this, not sure he can really be a franchise QB, but I will trust Reich and Ballard on this.

DrSpaceman 09-02-2019 07:13 PM

Surprises me they didn't just give him the year to play it out and then see if he deserves an extension

But then when you sign your back up $4 million a year and 9 guaranteed, that could easily have become an issue as the year went on

Colt Classic 09-02-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 129353)
Clearly they believe in him and Reich calling him a top 20 QB was not him just BSing. With the CAP space we have I am good with this, not sure he can really be a franchise QB, but I will trust Reich and Ballard on this.

They backed themselves into this corner where they had to pay him top 20 money to confirm the earlier statement.

JAFF 09-02-2019 08:42 PM

Irsay and Ballard are not messing around. They just spent a bunch of money to solidify the QB position.

They said this wasnt a lost season. Nice to see no half measures

Chromeburn 09-02-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 129373)
Irsay and Ballard are not messing around. They just spent a bunch of money to solidify the QB position.

They said this wasnt a lost season. Nice to see no half measures

Can’t be, too many other position groups are lined up? If we try for a rookie, by the time he comes around several of our top guys will be declining. Have to go all out.

Heh I say that and we have like 60 million in the bank.

I can see us grabbing a QB like a Jordan Love in next draft and let him develop under Brisset.

JAFF 09-02-2019 09:15 PM

From PPF

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ise-tag-early/

smitty46953 09-02-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Welcome back you old Horse … :cool:

Chaka 09-03-2019 12:23 AM

A bit rich for my blood. I would have just assumed wait to see how he does before talking extension with him, given his limited track record (he threw only 4 passes all last year). However, listening to some of your comments I can see the rationale for doing it now I guess. That said, as we sit here today, I would have pegged his value on a new two-year contract at about $8-10 million per, particularly since we already had him locked in at $2-3 million this year.

But the Colts certainly know him better than I do, and I guess I could look at it as a positive that they like him enough to pay him that much (there’s also the lingering issue that we don’t know all the contract details yet, specifically what the $20 million is guaranteed against).

Butter 09-03-2019 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129386)
specifically what the $20 million is guaranteed against).

Pretty sure it is guaranteed against not getting paid it.

Racehorse 09-03-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workhorse (Post 129346)
Ya, I’m the same workhorse from the first coltfreaks message board from years and years ago. It took a while for someone to approve me getting back in when the message board moved. 😳

Always nice to have another horse around.

Chaka 09-03-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 129389)
Pretty sure it is guaranteed against not getting paid it.

Perhaps, but guarantees in NFL contracts aren't always what they appear to be. Colin Kaepernick famously had $61M in guaranteed money in his 2014 contract with the 49ers, but ultimately received much less because much of the money was "guaranteed" against injury only. Not saying that's what happened here, but only that we won't know the full extent of the Colts commitment until we see all of the details.

VeveJones007 09-03-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129386)
A bit rich for my blood. I would have just assumed wait to see how he does before talking extension with him, given his limited track record (he threw only 4 passes all last year). However, listening to some of your comments I can see the rationale for doing it now I guess. That said, as we sit here today, I would have pegged his value on a new two-year contract at about $8-10 million per, particularly since we already had him locked in at $2-3 million this year.

But the Colts certainly know him better than I do, and I guess I could look at it as a positive that they like him enough to pay him that much (there’s also the lingering issue that we don’t know all the contract details yet, specifically what the $20 million is guaranteed against).

-Bridgewater got $7.5MM from the Saints to back up Brees
-Foles got $22MM/year from the Jags to start
-Mike Glennon got $15MM/year from the Bears before they drafted Trubisky

$15MM is the going rate for a low end starter.

Oldcolt 09-03-2019 10:21 AM

To me it is a great move because of the circumstances this team finds itself in. Whatever you think about Luck retiring, it had to be at some level a gut punch to this team. By giving Jacoby this contract (which they can easily afford) they get rid of a possible distraction if Brissett does as well as they think he will (ie. the starting qb making less than a ton of guys on the team including his backup), they put a stamp on the Luck era being over, and they 'put their money where their mouth was' thus doing everything in their power to put the focus on this season and winning it all. It sends a message that this regime knows how to take care of it's players (Jacoby has shown that he is all about the team the way he handled Luck's absence and Luck coming back-I'm assuming the Colts rewarded him for that among other things), should be of help in upping the emotional state of the team and seems to me at least to be a move of a front office that doesn't panic and know what in the hell they are doing.

One last thing about Ballard. Brissett for Dorsett is beginning to have the look of a pretty good trade isn't it?

Chaka 09-03-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 129412)
-Bridgewater got $7.5MM from the Saints to back up Brees
-Foles got $22MM/year from the Jags to start
-Mike Glennon got $15MM/year from the Bears before they drafted Trubisky

$15MM is the going rate for a low end starter.

That might be the case, but we ripped up a one-year $2M-3M deal and apparently replaced it with a two-year $30M deal. That was my point.

If we just added another year at the low end starter rate you mentioned of $15M I probably wouldn't complain too much.

rcubed 09-03-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129441)
That might be the case, but we ripped up a one-year $2M-3M deal and apparently replaced it with a two-year $30M deal. That was my point.

If we just added another year at the low end starter rate you mentioned of $15M I probably wouldn't complain too much.

Its two years. He would be playing for us this year regardless unless he completely shits the bed. So he gets a big raise this year (I think its $20M this year) which is no biggie to our cap space. If he plays well then its worth it.

We are not locked in long term. If he is playing at a high level then we get him relativley cheap next year. If not or if they see him as a stop gap, then draft someone and the new QB plays behind brisset for a year.

VeveJones007 09-03-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129441)

None of that matters. What is the downside? They used up a drop of the ocean of cap space they have available to them in 2020?

Chaka 09-03-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 129452)
None of that matters. What is the downside? They used up a drop of the ocean of cap space they have available to them in 2020?

The downside is that we spend $30M on someone who flames out. I don’t know about you, but I consider $30M to be a lot of money, even in the context of today's NFL.

Look, I know there's this celebratory attitude around here and in the media that they’ve signed Brissett to this deal, but I don’t really get it. What has Brissett done so far to make you think that he’s deserving of a $30M contract? I mean, if you read what everyone was saying here during the preseason, Brissett is not a very good QB. Really - take a minute and go back and read the commentary about Brissett PRIOR to Luck’s retirement, and tell me why we should be excited to see the team commit so much to him. I'll help you get started, here are a couple gems I found with just a quick search:

Here's GBB on Brissett:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 125657)
2. This isn't a new opinion for me for those who know me, but: Jacoby Brissett isn't very good. That is not basing off one preseason game. That's basing off a world in which people insist he has 2nd round trade value. He doesn't. He's slow to get the ball out and not accurate enough to be a full-time starting QB. Great guy, great arm and one of the better QB2s in the league. BUT that reinforces the gap between QB1s and QB2s, let alone between Luck and Brissett.

And here's omahacolt's recent comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 128055)
He isn’t very good. 4000 yards and 22 tds would be good. Great really. We need to find a new qb

I have nothing against Brissett and I want him to succeed like the everyone else here, but I'm just not ready to join the backslapping party yet. I certainly can't anoint him the next Dak Prescott, as some of you have suggested, based upon what he's shown so far. Prescott had 22TD-8INTs and a 96.7 QB rating last year! Bottom line, Brissett needs to show more on the field before I can get excited about him being our QB.

The one thing he has going for him is that he seems to have the confidence of the Colts management, so blind faith in management might justify the excitement, but little else.

Luck4Reich 09-03-2019 08:41 PM

He not only has the confidence of the Colts management but the players as well. There wasnt anyone available at this point. I think Ballard did the right thing.

I dont think Brissett is that good either. Can he play good enough to rally a team that has the talent and a team that will rally around him? I hope so and I think so.

Hoopsdoc 09-03-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129493)
The downside is that we spend $30M on someone who flames out. I don’t know about you, but I consider $30M to be a lot of money, even in the context of today's NFL.

Look, I know there's this celebratory attitude around here and in the media that they’ve signed Brissett to this deal, but I don’t really get it. What has Brissett done so far to make you think that he’s deserving of a $30M contract? I mean, if you read what everyone was saying here during the preseason, Brissett is not a very good QB. Really - take a minute and go back and read the commentary about Brissett PRIOR to Luck’s retirement, and tell me why we should be excited to see the team commit so much to him. I'll help you get started, here are a couple gems I found with just a quick search:

Here's GBB on Brissett:

I have nothing against Brissett and I want him to succeed like the everyone else here, but I'm just not ready to join the backslapping party yet. I certainly can't anoint him the next Dak Prescott, as some of you have suggested, based upon what he's shown so far. Prescott had 22TD-8INTs and a 96.7 QB rating last year! Bottom line, Brissett needs to show more on the field before I can get excited about him being our QB.

The one thing he has going for him is that he seems to have the confidence of the Colts management, so blind faith in management might justify the excitement, but little else.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m certainly not anointing him. Even if the team only believes he’s a stop gap until they find someone else, they’ll need him at least one more year. So signing him now removes that worry, plus they’re using cap space that was going unused anyway.

From the teams perspective, it’s a no brainer.

VeveJones007 09-04-2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Here's GBB on Brissett:

There’s a difference between critiquing the deal and how excited one is about him being the starter. You’re letting the latter cloud your rationality on the former.

Colts And Orioles 09-04-2019 12:56 AM

o

Perhaps a small portion of this move was to ignite some kind of perception equals reality adage ........ pay him like a good quarterback, make him feel like he's a good quarterback, and perhaps it will contribute toward him playing like a good quarterback.

Obviously that wouldn't work with somebody like Curtis Painter or Scott Tolzien, but with somebody who has already shown that he has above-average ability/potential at the NFL level like Brissett has, it may have an impact (however nominal.)

o

rcubed 09-04-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Look, I know there's this celebratory attitude around here and in the media that they’ve signed Brissett to this deal, but I don’t really get it.

I dont see anyone (or many) here celebrating it. But for our current situation it makes some sense to have brissett for two years. He knows the system. He will get us through this year and hopefully help the transition next year to a long term solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pez 09-04-2019 07:04 AM

Maybe over simplifying, but you cant bring in Hoyer and pay him 4 million a year and they pay brissett 2 million to start ahead of him.

Such a move would undermine the Ballard culture that he is thus far maintaining in a very consistent way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chaka 09-04-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 129526)
I dont see anyone (or many) here celebrating it. But for our current situation it makes some sense to have brissett for two years. He knows the system. He will get us through this year and hopefully help the transition next year to a long term solution.

Call it what you will, but there’s lots of positivity over the terms of this one year extension, and I’m simply questioning why this is. Understand that I am not questioning the idea of tacking on another year to his deal, just the cost ($30M) that it took to do this. I’m just asking what Brissett has done to merit this kind of contract. I don’t think it’s enough to say it’s a low end starter price, because it isn’t – we are theoretically giving him $27M-28M for one additional year.

Maniac 09-04-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 129551)
Call it what you will, but there’s lots of positivity over the terms of this one year extension, and I’m simply questioning why this is. Understand that I am not questioning the idea of tacking on another year to his deal, just the cost ($30M) that it took to do this. I’m just asking what Brissett has done to merit this kind of contract. I don’t think it’s enough to say it’s a low end starter price, because it isn’t – we are theoretically giving him $27M-28M for one additional year.

I think it's more of a vote of confidence from the team to him, basically saying "We believe in you to lead this team." If he's happy and doesn't have to worry about money, then he can focus fully on his job.

rm1369 09-04-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

I posted in another thread that it was likely the Colts would be forced to franchise Brissett next year. They were in a bad spot. Brissett is unproven, but also a young player with upside that they obviously like. Even a decent year would have forced the Colts to make a huge investment to keep him. QB money is simply insane. And they’d have to make that investment after 1 year basically. Instead they have given him a 2 year deal basically worth the equivalent of this years salary and the franchise tag next year. Why not just wait? Because of the escalator clause in the franchise tag. It gets significantly more expensive each time you are forced to use it. They now have him locked up for three years (next two plus one franchise year) at a cost they can manage to decide what they have and how to move forward. And they did it in a way that built goodwill with the player and maintained their long term flexibility. To me you are looking at this wrong - this deal likely saved the Colts money long term. The only way it is bad is if Brissett completely fails. Even if he is mediocre it still works out for them IMO. It was a good move by Ballard who was placed in a bad situation.

Hoopsdoc 09-04-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

I mean, I agree that Brissett hasn’t done anything to merit this type of money, but that’s not really why he’s getting it.

It’s more about not paying the backup more than the starter, and solidifying the spot for at least next year.

VeveJones007 09-04-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 129526)

Wait, you're saying that the majority of Colts fans are being rational in this situation?? /s

DrSpaceman 09-04-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm1369 (Post 129553)
I posted in another thread that it was likely the Colts would be forced to franchise Brissett next year. They were in a bad spot. Brissett is unproven, but also a young player with upside that they obviously like. Even a decent year would have forced the Colts to make a huge investment to keep him. QB money is simply insane. And they’d have to make that investment after 1 year basically. Instead they have given him a 2 year deal basically worth the equivalent of this years salary and the franchise tag next year. Why not just wait? Because of the escalator clause in the franchise tag. It gets significantly more expensive each time you are forced to use it. They now have him locked up for three years (next two plus one franchise year) at a cost they can manage to decide what they have and how to move forward. And they did it in a way that built goodwill with the player and maintained their long term flexibility. To me you are looking at this wrong - this deal likely saved the Colts money long term. The only way it is bad is if Brissett completely fails. Even if he is mediocre it still works out for them IMO. It was a good move by Ballard who was placed in a bad situation.

It really only bought them a year.

Now a decision has to be made in two years instead of one long term.

I don't have a problem with that they did, but I don't see it saving them any money on the long term. Whether it be next year or the year after, you have to eventually decide is he deserves to be paid like a typical starter in the league, which is way more than $15 million a year, more likely $30 million a year now for a decent one.

If they franchise him in the 3rd year its hard telling how much money that will be when that comes up. That may not be a realistic option. Its an average of the top 5 player salaries at the position over the past 5 years. Its is $25 million a year right now for a QB and is most assuredly going up in the next few years, probably to at least $30 million. Plus he could choose to sit out, create another bad situation for the team at QB if their is a prolonged negotiation. The last thing this team needs is more unknowns at QB due to a salary dispute. So the idea they can just franchise tag him for a year is questionable at best