ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colts signing Justin Houston (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70088)

VeveJones007 03-21-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 114080)
Houston may prove me wrong and I hope he does. A couple of things in his favor are he probably won't have to play as many snaps in Indy and playing on the carpet for more than 50% of his games.

Low risk, potential high reward. The kind of smart move well run organizations make.

I’m not counting on a ton due to his recent injury history, but this is basically a one year deal. Ballard is rolling the dice in a smart gamble.

YDFL Commish 03-21-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 114088)
Yes, but what about his 3 cone?

Not a WR. Also, Polian is the one who said that the 3-cone was one of the few tests that he considered useful in evaluating a WR.

He said this at a time when he was discussing the drafting of Dallas Clark and how Clark had a 3-cone drill that was comparable to some of the better WR's.

Now, let's stop derailing this thread any further.

Brylok 03-21-2019 06:02 PM

Woo-hoo! I love this one! Helps in a position of need and will be a great influence on the young guys. 2 years/$24M isn't too bad, either

Chromeburn 03-21-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 114069)
I agree. Loving the way he operates. He’s the anti-Grigson.

Ahem Trent Cole. Let’s just hope he and Houston have little in common.

Still this is the kind of stuff I’m talking about. We have some funny money for a few years. Short term deal, if it works awesome. If it doesn’t, used up some short term available cap. That was just going to sit there anyway.

VeveJones007 03-21-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 114082)
Ballard seems smart enough to recognize this as the stopgap it is. I expect if a good pass rusher somehow is available at 26, the Colts will take him. This is way better than signing Za'darius Smith for 4/66 or Preston Smith for 4/52.

Agreed, but I’ll just add that perhaps Ballard doesn’t anticipate a Rd 1 grade pass rusher to be there. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him go a route like Taylor Rapp and Simmons at 26 and 34 now.

GoBigBlue88 03-21-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 114070)
I won't deny that in my heart I'm a little excited by this signing, but my brain is telling me not to get TOO excited about signing an oft-injured 30-year old pass rusher who was just jettisoned by his team. Not a typical Ballard-type signing, at least based on his short time in Indy, though he undoubtedly has insight into Houston from his time in KC so that provides some additional comfort. I'll be interested to see the contract details.

Incidentally, here's a 2015 article someone on Stampede Blue posted regarding the surprising effectiveness of pass rushers in their early 30's, though the then-30 year old subject of the article (Mario Williams) didn't exactly live up to the premise of the article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...nto-their-30s/

I follow the logic, but I think he was booted because he's an OLB and was null in coverage for them. His pass-rush ability -- though more power than speed now -- is still ++++.

Coltsalr 03-21-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 114102)
Ahem Trent Cole. Let’s just hope he and Houston have little in common.

Still this is the kind of stuff I’m talking about. We have some funny money for a few years. Short term deal, if it works awesome. If it doesn’t, used up some short term available cap.

Justin Houston had WAY more in the tank last year than Trent Cole had his final year in Philly, when he was clearly in decline and Grigson still went hard after him.

The better comparison would’ve been had Grigson gone after Demarcus Ware instead (a guy that clearly isn’t 100% of what he once was but still able to be quite productive).

GoBigBlue88 03-21-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 114103)
Agreed, but I’ll just add that perhaps Ballard doesn’t anticipate a Rd 1 grade pass rusher to be there. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him go a route like Taylor Rapp and Simmons at 26 and 34 now.

I don't have many draft TAKES because I don't watch a TON of CFB. But 1 of the maybe 3 takes I have is that Jeffrey Simmons can be special. Just from combo of what I've heard and what little I've seen.

Would take Simmons at 26 in a heartbeat.

Butter 03-21-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 114104)
I follow the logic, but I think he was booted because he's an OLB and was null in coverage for them. His pass-rush ability -- though more power than speed now -- is still ++++.

KC is switching to a 4-3 I thought that is why they shipped Ford to SF and cut Houston.

VeveJones007 03-21-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 114110)
I don't have many draft TAKES because I don't watch a TON of CFB. But 1 of the maybe 3 takes I have is that Jeffrey Simmons can be special. Just from combo of what I've heard and what little I've seen.

Would take Simmons at 26 in a heartbeat.

And with an extra pick at 34 + 8 solid players already on the DL, Ballard has the luxury to take Simmons.