ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Next HC preferences (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26247)

GoBigBlue88 11-17-2017 07:53 PM

Next HC preferences

Just curious what your top 3-5 would be?

I'm at a point where I'm pretty confidently ready to declare...

1. Matt Nagy

The more I watch the Chiefs, the more I appreciate how truly innovative their offense is. It's basically the anti-Colts offense: designed to find ways to get the ball to playmakers in space, and not tip their hat as to how they're doing it. If Nagy can do what he's doing with Alex Smith, imagine a healthy Andrew Luck... I trust Ballard to unearth playmakers, so I'm imagining Hilton, Mack and a few other weapons in a Nagy scheme, and I think this is Colts' best path forward.

(I also think some of Andy Reid's OL genius is likely to rub off on coordinators.)

2. Dave Toub

If you can't get Nagy, get a guy who's A) not a retread, B) not a brain dead marshmallow like Pagano and C) runs a top unit. That's Toub, IMO.

3. Jim Harbaugh

Honestly, I'm not wild on Harbaugh. There's a big drop-off from 2 to 3 here. I think Harbaugh is a band-aid guy and I'm not sure he's the best fit for Luck at this stage anyway. But if you are going to go college/retreat route, I'm much rather Harbaugh than Gruden (worse coach with similar issues), Saban, etc.

rcubed 11-17-2017 08:39 PM

good post.

omahacolt 11-17-2017 08:44 PM

Anyone but pagano

Although I have always been a fan of Andy Reid's offense.

Butter 11-17-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 41466)
Anyone but pagano

Although I have always been a fan of Andy Reid's offense.

Not Pagano is a start. Harbaugh, I am kind of meh on, I wonder if he is too much of an asshole to deal with pros and is better off in College. He would be light years better than Clappy Mchitstain.

YDFL Commish 11-17-2017 09:49 PM

Mods, please sticky this thread, as it will be the most meaningful post of the season and off season.

YDFL Commish 11-17-2017 09:53 PM

I either want a sharp, progressive, offensive mind or a HC that will hire that the right OC, and get the fuck out of the way.

Also, the HC can't be stuck in philosophies. The philosophy has to be, do what ever it takes to beat the opponent on that Sunday.

Dewey 5 11-17-2017 11:15 PM

I'm certain that David Shaw will be a name we here often if Pagano gets fired.

DrSpaceman 11-17-2017 11:20 PM

I would still like Harbaugh.

But I would be open to Nagy or Toub.

I would think with Ballard in charge of hiring the KC assistants would be at the top of the list.

Brylok 11-17-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 41476)
I either want a sharp, progressive, offensive mind or a HC that will hire that the right OC, and get the fuck out of the way.

Also, the HC can't be stuck in philosophies. The philosophy has to be, do what ever it takes to beat the opponent on that Sunday.

Absolutely this.

rcubed 11-18-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey 5 (Post 41477)
I'm certain that David Shaw will be a name we here often if Pagano gets fired.

From everything i have read and heard, shaw has no interest in leaving stanford. But who knows...

ChoppedWood 11-18-2017 08:14 AM

Interesting discussion yesterday on one of the local shows about us possibly just staying home with Brian Schottenheimer given his work now with both Luck and Brissett and the fact Luck produced his best season even with a bum shoulder with him as his coach. He's clearly an offensive guy, and he's had some successes in that regard, he's also saddled with the baggage of horrible offenses with the Jets and Rams....offenses that to me had way too much similarity to his dad's Marty Ball philosophy which to me is akin to Pags approach.

Another name discussed and I think intriguing = Frank Reich. The Eagles offense is dynamic much like KC and he has really allowed a young QB to become a dynamic leader on and off the field and become the figure of the franchise which I think is something you have to do from an identity standpoint if you have the right guy. The ties back to here are intriguing but it was mentioned that he might not be inclined to get back in bed with Irsay after the way the last engagement ended.

I am all for someone that comes here with the attitude that we are going to be innovative and focus on playmakers as discussed, period. Lots of KC guys that can fit that mold. I'll take anyone that decides to scheme against the other team instead of taking the "we do what we do" approach every fucking week and refusing to try to exploit weaknesses on the other side- which really we've had in place for 20 years now- okay, yeah it worked when you had the best QB mind in the history of the game behind center and a line that could actually allow him to do that, it doesn't now because the fucking QB doesn't even have time to plant his fucking feet let alone try to pinpoint weaknessed on the field, fucking round hole square peg you stupid fucks!

Unfortunately on the radio there's also been quite a bit of talk of Gruden, Harbaugh, and fucking Saban! I think if Saban were to come back to the NFL it would be even worse than his first stint because I don't think he can adjust his "I am king" mindset and I could see some dude finally just hauling off an punching his arrogant ass. I kind of worry about a similar type mindset with Harbaugh- I love his approach but I can see it wearing thin in the NFL real quick- these are grown ass men that carry with them some hellaciously selfish traits...

DrSpaceman 11-18-2017 10:43 AM

Gruden has been away too long and I really don't think he will come back to coaching.

Saban is much better in college, I don't see him leaving. He just uses the threat of NFL jobs for more money and power at Alabama.

IndyNorm 11-18-2017 11:16 AM

Could just be guilt by association, but no fucking way anyone on the current staff should be retained. Based on the on field product, play calling, decision making, etc. they've all proven to be incompetent.

Any of the KC guys mentioned would be great and Frank Reich is a good idea too. I'm drawing a blank on the past drama between him and Irsay though, so can someone fill me in?

From the other names Harbaugh would be good IMO since he had a lot of success at SF. I think Saban and Gruden would be better than what we currently have but would end up being a disaster.

VeveJones007 11-18-2017 11:38 AM

Toub or one of the offensive coaches + bring Fangio back after the Bears blow up the coaching staff.

YDFL Commish 11-18-2017 04:04 PM

I'm going to start compiling names here, feel free to add.
This list is in no particular order:

Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Nick Saban
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Jim Mora Jr
Dave Toub
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Jim Bob Cooter
Teryl Austin
Scott Linehan
Todd Haley
Dennis Allen
Frank Reich
Pete Carmichael
Matt Lafleur
Pat Schurmer
Mike Smith
Mike Shannahan
Mike Shula
Matt Nagy
Tom Cable
Steve Wilks

GoBigBlue88 11-18-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 41490)
Interesting discussion yesterday on one of the local shows about us possibly just staying home with Brian Schottenheimer given his work now with both Luck and Brissett and the fact Luck produced his best season even with a bum shoulder with him as his coach. He's clearly an offensive guy, and he's had some successes in that regard, he's also saddled with the baggage of horrible offenses with the Jets and Rams....offenses that to me had way too much similarity to his dad's Marty Ball philosophy which to me is akin to Pags approach.

Another name discussed and I think intriguing = Frank Reich. The Eagles offense is dynamic much like KC and he has really allowed a young QB to become a dynamic leader on and off the field and become the figure of the franchise which I think is something you have to do from an identity standpoint if you have the right guy. The ties back to here are intriguing but it was mentioned that he might not be inclined to get back in bed with Irsay after the way the last engagement ended.

I am all for someone that comes here with the attitude that we are going to be innovative and focus on playmakers as discussed, period. Lots of KC guys that can fit that mold. I'll take anyone that decides to scheme against the other team instead of taking the "we do what we do" approach every fucking week and refusing to try to exploit weaknesses on the other side- which really we've had in place for 20 years now- okay, yeah it worked when you had the best QB mind in the history of the game behind center and a line that could actually allow him to do that, it doesn't now because the fucking QB doesn't even have time to plant his fucking feet let alone try to pinpoint weaknessed on the field, fucking round hole square peg you stupid fucks!

Unfortunately on the radio there's also been quite a bit of talk of Gruden, Harbaugh, and fucking Saban! I think if Saban were to come back to the NFL it would be even worse than his first stint because I don't think he can adjust his "I am king" mindset and I could see some dude finally just hauling off an punching his arrogant ass. I kind of worry about a similar type mindset with Harbaugh- I love his approach but I can see it wearing thin in the NFL real quick- these are grown ass men that carry with them some hellaciously selfish traits...

Guys like Reich are why I would pass on Schottenheimer, actually. But that's just me.

kitekrazy 11-19-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter (Post 41467)
Not Pagano is a start. Harbaugh, I am kind of meh on, I wonder if he is too much of an asshole to deal with pros and is better off in College. He would be light years better than Clappy Mchitstain.

I think that is why you see guys jump to the colleges. In the NFL unless you are Bill B. you are the tallest midget.

Getting Harbaugh is a pipe dream. They would have to buy out his contract.

kitekrazy 11-19-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 41498)
Toub or one of the offensive coaches + bring Fangio back after the Bears blow up the coaching staff.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Puck 11-19-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoppedWood (Post 41490)

Luck's best yr was 2014

Dam8610 11-19-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 41515)

Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Nick Saban
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Jim Mora Jr
Dave Toub
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Jim Bob Cooter
Teryl Austin
Scott Linehan
Todd Haley
Dennis Allen

Good ideas on that list are Harbaugh, Saban, Toub, Austin. Any of the others would be wasting more of Luck's career. I honestly can't believe some of you still think Cowher or Gruden are good ideas.

ChoppedWood 11-19-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41641)
Luck's best yr was 2014

I get it, we view it that way as fans- he was most effective that year for sure. Apparently his stats were better last year according to Venturi.

Puck 11-19-2017 05:47 PM

His completion percentage went up from 61 to 63. But in 2014 he had almost 4800 yards compared to 4250.....40 TD's in 2014 compared to 31 in 2016

Less interceptions in 2016. 13 compared to 16 in 2014.

Colts had the #1 passing offense in the league in 2014. All with a worse Oline that's now

I'll agree he did it last yr with a hurt shoulder and a worse OC in Chud

GoBigBlue88 11-19-2017 06:05 PM

Rough day for Nagy's offense today. I'm inclined to think it was more Alex Smith making terrible throws (and Kelce throwing the ball period), but by no means is Nagy bulletproof. I just like the design of his offense...

Puck 11-19-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 (Post 41663)
Rough day for Nagy's offense today. I'm inclined to think it was more Alex Smith making terrible throws (and Kelce throwing the ball period), but by no means is Nagy bulletproof. I just like the design of his offense...

I like what Sean Payton has been able to do this yr with anSaints team that started 0-2 and had the last ranked D in the league.

Doubt he would be on the short list though

omahacolt 11-19-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41644)
His completion percentage went up from 61 to 63. But in 2014 he had almost 4800 yards compared to 4250.....40 TD's in 2014 compared to 31 in 2016

Less interceptions in 2016. 13 compared to 16 in 2014.

Colts had the #1 passing offense in the league in 2014. All with a worse Oline that's now

I'll agree he did it last yr with a hurt shoulder and a worse OC in Chud

I take chud every day of the week over pep Hamilton. So does everyone but you

Puck 11-19-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 41681)

Whatever. The stats back me up. And Luck proabably wouldn't be on IR if the-y hadn't brought on Chud. He and chuck broke Luck

1965southpaw 11-19-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

According to this dude he's at the top of Ballard short list........One person who knows Colts general manager Chris Ballard says Nagy will be high (if not first) on Ballard's list if Indianapolis makes a change.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ons-for-week-8

omahacolt 11-19-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41682)
Whatever. The stats back me up. And Luck proabably wouldn't be on IR if the-y hadn't brought on Chud. He and chuck broke Luck

You are just like dam. Unable to admit you were wrong. Pep is your pagano. It has been years and you still defend that shit bag.

Racehorse 11-19-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 41681)

This is like arguing if you prefer shit or vomit.

Puck 11-19-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omahacolt (Post 41708)
You are just like dam. Unable to admit you were wrong. Pep is your pagano. It has been years and you still defend that shit bag.

You said yourself. (The same thing I said when Pep was here)

Doesn't matter who the coordinator is... Pagano makes them run what he wants.

I said it the. And now others. Like you are saying it now.... it doesn't matter who the OC is.... WE HAVE TO RUN THE IT THE RETARDED PAGFUCKS WAY.... what Pep did at Stanford and what he is doing at Michigan now are nothing like what Pagnuts makes the OC'S do in Indy

I don't want Pep back.... he got a bad rap here because of Pagfuck but seems funny he left we go from 11-5 with less talent to 8-8 since he left.

YDFL Commish 11-19-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41734)
You said yourself. (The same thing I said when Pep was here)

Doesn't matter who the coordinator is... Pagano makes them run what he wants.

I said it the. And now others. Like you are saying it now.... it doesn't matter who the OC is.... WE HAVE TO RUN THE IT THE RETARDED PAGFUCKS WAY.... what Pep did at Stanford and what he is doing at Michigan now are nothing like what Pagnuts makes the OC'S do in Indy

I don't want Pep back.... he got a bad rap here because of Pagfuck but seems funny he left we go from 11-5 with less talent to 8-8 since he left.

Both Pep and Chud suck. But you're right, Pagano is the bigger problem.

Puck 11-20-2017 12:28 AM

I think Frank Reich is the one I want. I love his offense in Philly and he has been very good wherever he has been and has familiarity with the Colts and Irsay

Maniac 11-20-2017 05:53 AM

Quote:

I think they just struggled to get anything going in that crazy wind in NY. Either NY did a good job of keying on the run knowing KC wouldn't be able to throw the ball well, or Hunt is hitting a rookie wall.

DrSpaceman 11-20-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YDFL Commish (Post 41515)

Jim Harbaugh
David Shaw
Nick Saban
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Jim Mora Jr
Dave Toub
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Jim Bob Cooter
Teryl Austin
Scott Linehan
Todd Haley
Dennis Allen
Frank Reich

I think Bruce Arians may be on the list as well depending on how AZ finishes the season.

Matt Patricia.....the Pats D has not been that good this year. If we are taking a Pats assistant, and I would prefer not to in general, I would take McDaniels.

Jim Bob Cooter, not a bad choice.

Saban, Gruden, Cowher, Hardbaugh are longshots

rcubed 11-20-2017 11:39 AM

Still cant get past jim bob cooters name.

FatDT 11-20-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 41781)
I think Bruce Arians may be on the list as well depending on how AZ finishes the season.

Matt Patricia.....the Pats D has not been that good this year. If we are taking a Pats assistant, and I would prefer not to in general, I would take McDaniels.

Jim Bob Cooter, not a bad choice.

Saban, Gruden, Cowher, Hardbaugh are longshots

Why would you want Arians exactly? His offense gets QBs killed. He may be a better overall HC than Pagano but his Air Coryell bullshit is the opposite of what Luck needs.

YDFL Commish 11-20-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41749)
I think Frank Reich is the one I want. I love his offense in Philly and he has been very good wherever he has been and has familiarity with the Colts and Irsay

Watching the Iggles offense last night, I tend to agree.

omahacolt 11-20-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 41798)
Why would you want Arians exactly? His offense gets QBs killed. He may be a better overall HC than Pagano but his Air Coryell bullshit is the opposite of what Luck needs.

100% correct

Butter 11-20-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 41798)

Could not agree more.

HoosierinFL 11-20-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 41682)

Luck also had Reggie Wayne in 2014 with TY as the #2. The WR corps has never truly recovered from losing Reggie.