ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kenny Moore Signs 4-year Deal (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75391)

Chaka 06-13-2019 09:56 AM

Kenny Moore Signs 4-year Deal

The Colts used a little of that cap space today - making Moore the highest paid slot corner "based upon new money" according to Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139165883010621441

Luck4Reich 06-13-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 122251)
The Colts used a little of that cap space today - making Moore the highest paid slot corner "based upon new money" according to Rapoport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139165883010621441

Good move.

Coltsalr 06-13-2019 10:05 AM

https://media.tenor.com/images/8412f...8a99/tenor.gif

Chaka 06-13-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 122252)
Good move.

Yes, Moore seems to be well liked around here. GBB is a big fan, if I recall correctly. I'll be curious to see the terms/structure.

The Colts seem to be taking a page from MLB in focusing on early re-signs of their players to buy out a few of their free agent years. Moore's a pretty significant one. I wonder if they're thinking of doing something similar with Kelly, though I know his injury history would be a concern.

Chaka 06-13-2019 10:36 AM

The comments left below Rapoport’s twitter post are kind of funny to read. The prevailing response to the Moore news seems to be “Who?”, including a guy who simply says, “never heard his name ever said”.

Then there’s the Texans fans who are basically conceding the AFC South to the Colts.

VeveJones007 06-13-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 122260)
Yes, Moore seems to be well liked around here. GBB is a big fan, if I recall correctly. I'll be curious to see the terms/structure.

The Colts seem to be taking a page from MLB in focusing on early re-signs of their players to buy out a few of their free agent years. Moore's a pretty significant one. I wonder if they're thinking of doing something similar with Kelly, though I know his injury history would be a concern.

This is what we discussed on here after they didn't go crazy in UFA. There's a lot of cap space this year that they can put towards extensions. It will create more cap room in 2020-2023 and could help them retain more of their own who would have otherwise hit free agency.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 06-13-2019 11:28 AM

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1139168128032751616

Quote:

Kenny Moore's story proves what a throwback attitude + tons of toughness can get you in this league. Remember, Chris Ballard had a rule — he didn't want any cornerbacks 5-9 or shorter. Had to be convinced to give Moore a shot. Two years later, Moore is a backbone of his defense.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1139169655447326721

Quote:

Kenny Moore will sign his contract extension this afternoon, per source. Without a doubt, one of the most respected guys in that locker room. His teammates will be genuinely pumped for him. Undrafted guy out of Valdosta State who's earned everything he's gotten.

nate505 06-13-2019 12:12 PM

Heh, I remember him making some boneheaded special teams plays a couple years ago and me saying "CUT HIM."

Glad people way smarter than me make the decisions.

Oldcolt 06-13-2019 12:17 PM

Ballard keeps doing what he says he will do. This has to be a positive for the locker room. I really like spending that cap money this way.

VeveJones007 06-13-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate505 (Post 122276)
Heh, I remember him making some boneheaded special teams plays a couple years ago and me saying "CUT HIM."

It wasn't just ST. He also had some really bad reps in coverage his rookie year. I don't know how much was scheme vs his progression, but he was WAYYYY better in 2018.

JAFF 06-13-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate505 (Post 122276)

Me too

JAFF 06-13-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 122277)
Ballard keeps doing what he says he will do. This has to be a positive for the locker room. I really like spending that cap money this way.

If you tell guys that you will play and pay the best guys, and they win games, you need to back up your talk with paydays.

Oldcolt 06-13-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 122268)
This is what we discussed on here after they didn't go crazy in UFA. There's a lot of cap space this year that they can put towards extensions. It will create more cap room in 2020-2023 and could help them retain more of their own who would have otherwise hit free agency.

Bingo

Pez 06-13-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 122261)
The comments left below Rapoport’s twitter post are kind of funny to read. The prevailing response to the Moore news seems to be “Who?”, including a guy who simply says, “never heard his name ever said”.

Then there’s the Texans fans who are basically conceding the AFC South to the Colts.

Weird. Moore is great, great energy, good skills. Odd to me That there can be colts fans that haven't heard of him.

Darius' Leonard's mic'd up session has this hilarious bit where he screams "Get off me Kenny!"

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 06-13-2019 05:24 PM

Details on the contract:

Per Rapoport

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1139241081826975744

Quote:

Details on the #Colts extension with slot CB Kenny Moore: He was to make $645K this year and would be an RFA next year at $3M or so, depending on the level. On his new deal, he’ll make $30M in new money from 2021-2023, with a max value of more than $36M, source said.
Per Joel Erickson

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...49426327752704

Quote:

Kenny Moore is now signed through 2023, per source, for $34 million, and another $6 million is available in escalators

Colt Classic 06-13-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 122317)
Weird. Moore is great, great energy, good skills. Odd to me That there can be colts fans that haven't heard of him.

Darius' Leonard's mic'd up session has this hilarious bit where he screams "Get off me Kenny!"

Not odd when you consider it's from the comments section of a Tweet.

Chromeburn 06-13-2019 06:57 PM

Good signing, I was wondering if this was going to happen after Rigoberto.

There is still Castonzo and Ebron as extension candidates as well. I wonder if Ballard are working on them. Castonzo would be a good signing since tackles age well and sometimes have their best years in their 30's.

YDFL Commish 06-13-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 122282)
It wasn't just ST. He also had some really bad reps in coverage his rookie year. I don't know how much was scheme vs his progression, but he was WAYYYY better in 2018.

I was among those who wanted him cut.

To be fair though it was only his first few games that he struggled with the bonehead plays. He did get progressively better after that.

VeveJones007 06-14-2019 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 122338)
Good signing, I was wondering if this was going to happen after Rigoberto.

There is still Castonzo and Ebron as extension candidates as well. I wonder if Ballard are working on them. Castonzo would be a good signing since tackles age well and sometimes have their best years in their 30's.

And it sounds like Castonzo is responding well to the new training staff, saying his body is feeling better than it has in years. Of course, that could also just be him angling for a final big contract.

Colt Classic 06-14-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 122355)
And it sounds like Castonzo is responding well to the new training staff, saying his body is feeling better than it has in years. Of course, that could also just be him angling for a final big contract.

Yeah just ask him--I'm sure he'll tell you he feels like he's 25 again!

JAFF 06-14-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 122355)

Why wouldnt the colts do everything to resign him? Solid left tackles are hard to find. Is there a better left tackle in the conference?

Chaka 06-14-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 122317)

I had assumed the responses were from non-Colts fans, but if Colts fans are saying this it's even funnier. Just the contrast between the report of a record-breaking contract, and the fact the guy has such low name recognition. In any event, good signing and good message to the rest of the team.

VeveJones007 06-14-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 122364)
Why wouldnt the colts do everything to resign him? Solid left tackles are hard to find. Is there a better left tackle in the conference?

Probably Lewan and Villanueva, but it's a good point. He's a solid piece and there's no reason for the Colts to mess around and lose him when they have ample cap room.

DrSpaceman 06-14-2019 12:45 PM

It took a decade to get together a good OL for this team

No need to get rid of a key piece now and risk destroying all that

Castonzo should be back

JAFF 06-14-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaka (Post 122371)
I had assumed the responses were from non-Colts fans, but if Colts fans are saying this it's even funnier. Just the contrast between the report of a record-breaking contract, and the fact the guy has such low name recognition. In any event, good signing and good message to the rest of the team.

With this offense, with more play action, the guys can attack the opposition, hit them first and make them react. He can play his position, he doesnt need to worry about the guy next to him

IndyNorm 06-15-2019 12:48 PM

Seems unnecessarily early, but good to have him locked up. Will be interesting to see what the exact contract details are.

Discflinger 06-15-2019 05:34 PM

He just got his braces off and can't stop licking his teeth. Love it.

Racehorse 06-15-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 122435)
Seems unnecessarily early, but good to have him locked up. Will be interesting to see what the exact contract details are.

Gotta get the cap dollars into this year. A signing bonus can help with that.

AlwaysSunnyinIndy 06-15-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 122442)
Gotta get the cap dollars into this year. A signing bonus can help with that.

That is exactly what the Colts did with Rigoberto's contract - I would expect the same here. That is one of the main reasons for extending the contract "early".

Chaka 06-15-2019 06:16 PM

Here's an article on the growing importance of slot corners in today's NFL:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8...lot-cornerback

Butter 06-16-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyNorm (Post 122435)

Contracts keep going up, locking him in now will make the later years look like a bargain if he continues to stay healthy and play at a high level.

JAFF 06-16-2019 05:47 PM

Here you go

http://https://profootballtalk.nbcsp...-rest-of-team/

Pez 06-16-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpaceman (Post 122383)
It took a decade to get together a good OL for this team

No need to get rid of a key piece now and risk destroying all that

Castonzo should be back

All respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chaka 06-17-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy (Post 122324)

So it's a true extension then - he's under contract for five more seasons (2019-2023) following this extension, and we've bought out three of his free agent years.

Luck4Reich 06-17-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 122481)
All respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.

JAFF 06-17-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck4Reich (Post 122494)
We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.

I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets

Luck4Reich 06-17-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFF (Post 122524)
I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets

I'm not dismissing the great things Polian did. More could have been done on defense. I just wish we would have won more SBs.. was that all on Polian? Absolutely not. I just feel Ballard is placing more emphasis in that area so far. We will see if it ends in more SBs.

HoosierinFL 06-18-2019 09:20 AM

Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.

Oldcolt 06-18-2019 11:10 AM

I don't think Polian put enough emphasis in offensive lineman. Moore was a genius at getting guys to play well together but they just did not have the physicality that you can get with high draft choices. There is a reason everyone considered us soft (we were-if that even can apply to a football team) during Polian's reign and nobody but nobody would say that about this team now. We will see if this philosophy (spend high draft choices in building your offensive line) gets us more championships than the last one. I like it a lot better and have been wanting us to go down this route for decades.

Chromeburn 06-18-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierinFL (Post 122543)
Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.

Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.