ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   'Healed up' and 'We'll see': Jim Irsay has Jonathan Taylor, Shaquille injury updates (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164152)

JAFF 07-10-2023 06:55 PM

'Healed up' and 'We'll see': Jim Irsay has Jonathan Taylor, Shaquille injury updates

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s/70400123007/

Quote:

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay gave injury updates on a couple of key players Monday − one optimistic, and one that sounds iffy.

At the end of a half-hour discussion on the Pat McAfee Show, Irsay said he's eager for training camp to begin July 26 and casually mentioned injuries to running back Jonathan Taylor and linebacker Shaquille Leonard that shortened their 2022 seasons.

Irsay said Taylor's right ankle was "healed up" following January surgery. Taylor missed almost all of seven games in 2022 after leading the NFL in rushing in 2021. Taylor is in the final year of his rookie contract and did not participate in offseason workouts.

Colts salary cap 2023:Breaking down player contracts

Leonard, who has had two back surgeries and played little last season, didn't get a glowing report.

"He's working hard. We'll see. He has a chance," Irsay said. "He's getting a little better each day."

Leonard, who has three All-Pro honors, is entering his sixth season.

Mr. Session 07-11-2023 07:18 AM

FWIW I appreciate this not being the typical "Everything is Gravy" BS they roll out, at least on the surface level.

I think Omaha said sometime last year that he had concerns that Leonard might already be done. My heart pulls for the kid, for sure, but my brain is telling me I should not be surprised if the ROI on Leonard is insufficient.

Irsay's "Transparency" here, even if it isn't intentional, is refreshing.

Brylok 07-11-2023 12:57 PM

So add LB to the "position of need" list.
LB, WR, CB, o-line depth.
Leonard has been injured since Rivers was QB. Why haven't we drafted/obtained another LB since then? It's only July, so we'll see.

Dam8610 07-11-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brylok (Post 268786)
So add LB to the "position of need" list.
LB, WR, CB, o-line depth.
Leonard has been injured since Rivers was QB. Why haven't we drafted/obtained another LB since then? It's only July, so we'll see.

This was exactly why I wanted to trade Leonard and sign Okereke long term. Now Okereke is a Giant. The Colts have obtained two other very good LBs in between in E.J. Speed, who they retained, and Zaire Franklin, who was unexpectedly very good last year.

Oldcolt 07-11-2023 04:45 PM

Nobody is going to trade for Leonard in his condition. The most likely thing is that he gets cut, probably next year. Read somewhere it will cost around 8 million in dead money and save about 12 million.

Brylok 07-11-2023 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 268792)
This was exactly why I wanted to trade Leonard and sign Okereke long term. Now Okereke is a Giant. The Colts have obtained two other very good LBs in between in E.J. Speed, who they retained, and Zaire Franklin, who was unexpectedly very good last year.

I should have written that better. But, yeah, I'd rather have kept Okereke.

Brylok 07-11-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 268795)
Nobody is going to trade for Leonard in his condition. The most likely thing is that he gets cut, probably next year. Read somewhere it will cost around 8 million in dead money and save about 12 million.

I read the same thing.

IndyNorm 07-15-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldcolt (Post 268795)

That's correct. At least per OTC. Releasing Leonard now would be a $28M cap hit with ($8M) pressure to the cap, next year is $8M cap hit w/ $12M in savings, and the following year is a $4M cap hit w/ $20M in cap savings.