ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/index.php)
-   Indianapolis Colts Discussion (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   8 of 9 (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62723)

Pez 12-18-2018 11:43 AM

8 of 9

October 14th - We were 1-5 after losing by less than a TD to the Eagles & Texans. It was odd, but even the games we lost by more than a TD seemed like we were closer than the score might indicate. Even the Patriots game was not out of the question (until it really was). We outscored them in the second half, without Leonard and without TY.

Absolutely no one thought it would be possible that the colts would win 7 of their next 8 games. Only two other teams since the merger have made the playoffs after a 1-5 start.

If we see two more weeks of good colts football I am happy with this season. The fact that such will get us into the playoffs is mind-blowing.

FatDT 12-18-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 99120)
If we see two more weeks of good colts football I am happy with this season. The fact that such will get us into the playoffs is mind-blowing.

I'm already happy with the season. I thought 7 wins was our ceiling. I still doubt we'll go far in the playoffs, assuming we get there, but with the way the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, Texans, and even the Saints have come down to earth a win against any of them would not surprise me.

Pez 12-18-2018 12:58 PM

Agree, I'm already happy with the season also. But it's difficult for me to look at this and not hope for making it in:

- Ravens are 4.5 point dogs to the Chargers on Saturday (seems like it should be more)
- Colts are 9 point favorites over the Giants on Sunday

Luck4Reich 12-18-2018 01:18 PM

They have exceeded my expectations. Fun to watch again and excited about the future.

sherck 12-18-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

October 14th - We were 1-5 after losing by less than a TD to the Eagles & Texans. It was odd, but even the games we lost by more than a TD seemed like we were closer than the score might indicate. Even the Patriots game was not out of the question (until it really was). We outscored them in the second half, without Leonard and without TY.

Absolutely no one thought it would be possible that the colts would win 7 of their next 8 games. Only two other teams since the merger have made the playoffs after a 1-5 start.

Ummm, we need help to get into the playoffs.

Even if we take care of business and win our next two games, we need either PIT or BAL to drop a game over the next two weeks. Either/or, not both.

However, while I agree that BAL has a tough game at KC and PIT has a nightmare game at NO, both could win those games, win out and we would be on the outside looking in.

So, I agree that I am pleased as punch with the season and consider it a success, it is not a WILL get into the playoffs. It is a MAY get into the playoffs.

Walk Worthy,

Racehorse 12-18-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 99121)
I'm already happy with the season. I thought 7 wins was our ceiling. I still doubt we'll go far in the playoffs, assuming we get there, but with the way the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, Texans, and even the Saints have come down to earth a win against any of them would not surprise me.

Like I said before, this year feels like 1995 all over again. A team that nobody expects anything out of. I just hope they get to the AFCCG again, and win it this time. No AAron Bailey or Quentin Coryatt to screw it up this time. Odum is the likely one to do that to us.

rcubed 12-18-2018 01:24 PM

They had a players only meeting after the jest loss. Sounds like some people got called out. That was the start of the turn around.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/17/co...nfl-news-notes

Pez 12-18-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 99132)

Even if we take care of business and win our next two games, we need either PIT or BAL to drop a game over the next two weeks. Either/or, not both.

However, while I agree that BAL has a tough game at KC and PIT has a nightmare game at NO, both could win those games, win out and we would be on the outside looking in.

So, I agree that I am pleased as punch with the season and consider it a success, it is not a WILL get into the playoffs. It is a MAY get into the playoffs.

Walk Worthy,

Ravens play chargers and browns.... Steelers play saints and Bengals. I know we need help, wasnt trying to say otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chromeburn 12-18-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Walk Worthy,

Doesn’t Balt play the Chargers? I don’t know how motivated the Chargers will be having clinched a spot now.

DragonTails 12-18-2018 01:58 PM

I just put down $$ at the local sports book on the Colts to win the AFC at 28-1. (also took the chargers)

Wonder what the odds were at 1-5?

VeveJones007 12-18-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcubed (Post 99137)
They had a players only meeting after the jest loss. Sounds like some people got called out. That was the start of the turn around.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/17/co...nfl-news-notes

Where do you get that?

VeveJones007 12-18-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chromeburn (Post 99151)
Doesn’t Balt play the Chargers? I don’t know how motivated the Chargers will be having clinched a spot now.

Well, the Chargers are tied with the Chiefs for the division and top seed in the AFC, but they are behind on tie breakers. I'd say the Chargers have plenty to play for.

Dam8610 12-18-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDT (Post 99121)

If the Ravens (playing Chargers) and the Steelers (playing Saints) both lose, the Colts control their own destiny (and probably get flexed to SNF Week 17) with a win over the Giants.

Dam8610 12-18-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeveJones007 (Post 99156)
Well, the Chargers are tied with the Chiefs for the division and top seed in the AFC, but they are behind on tie breakers. I'd say the Chargers have plenty to play for.

Like a potential bye.

sherck 12-18-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Pretty darn motivated since KC and SD now have idential records and are at the top of the AFC win/loss tree.

If KC falters, SD can grab the #1 AFC seed if they win out. They have everything to play for and no reason to hold back.

Walk Worthy,

sherck 12-18-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 99161)
If the Ravens (playing Chargers) and the Steelers (playing Saints) both lose, the Colts control their own destiny (and probably get flexed to SNF Week 17) with a win over the Giants.

Actually, it is not if BOTH lose......

It is if EITHER OF THEM lose....

With PIT at 8-5-1 and BAL at 8-6, if either lose and we win (to get to 9 wins), we go ahead of them for the #6 seed.

If we win out and PIT or BAL lose one game, we are in.

Walk Worthy,

Dam8610 12-18-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 99165)
Actually, it is not if BOTH lose......

It is if EITHER OF THEM lose....

With PIT at 8-5-1 and BAL at 8-6, if either lose and we win (to get to 9 wins), we go ahead of them for the #6 seed.

If we win out and PIT or BAL lose one game, we are in.

Walk Worthy,

True, but I want both to lose and both are likely to lose.

Luck4Reich 12-18-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 99172)

Very likely as they both have been shown to have plenty of weaknesses.

Racehorse 12-18-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 99172)

Both losing increases our odds. Now, if Tennessee would lose this weekend, too, it would be even nicer.

Luck4Reich 12-18-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 99177)
Both losing increases our odds. Now, if Tennessee would lose this weekend, too, it would be even nicer.

You just want everything dont you?:cool:

Dam8610 12-18-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racehorse (Post 99177)

Houston losing on top of all that would be even better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck (Post 99186)
You just want everything dont you?:cool:

Yes.

Pez 12-18-2018 07:59 PM

I was hoping this thread would take off and replace that other horribly titled thread.

Luck4Reich 12-18-2018 08:43 PM

Not for lack of trying Pez

Coltsalr 12-18-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

It’s either they keep the #1 seed and have homefield throughout the playoffs if they play in wild card weekend on the road.

They should be PLENTY motivated. Also, plenty rested. The Ravens on the other hand will be traveling cross country on short rest.

Coltsalr 12-18-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 99226)
Houston losing on top of all that would be even better.

Houston losing would put the Cheats back in the first round bye.

No thanks. Go Texans!

Dam8610 12-18-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 99244)

No thanks. Go Texans!

And leave the possibility of the Colts winning the division and getting a home game open. More concerned about that than potential benefits for the Cheats.

Pez 12-19-2018 06:59 AM

It amazes me that the colts are in this situation, and how different this situation could be if we had managed to win that first Houston game, or win the second Jacksonville game.

It's only smart to go for it on 4th down if you make it.

Coltsalr 12-19-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dam8610 (Post 99263)
And leave the possibility of the Colts winning the division and getting a home game open. More concerned about that than potential benefits for the Cheats.

The Colts would then need the Texans to lose the next week at home to a Jaguars team that cant wait to get on the golf course.

That’s not gonna happen. Need to root for what’s more realistic. Or against, in this instance. The Cheats sliming their way into advantageous situations has been a motif for the last decade plus. I want it to end here.

Pez 12-19-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsalr (Post 99244)

No thanks. Go Texans!

I'm of the same sentiment. Even though the playoff implications for us were horrible, I took great pleasure in the Steelers beating the Patriots last week. In the grand schema Of things, we aren't supposed to make the playoffs anyway.

IF we do make the playoffs, we wont do so with any real solid concern over who has the first round bye and HFA.

Pez 12-19-2018 08:53 AM

Racehorse and I discussed a few threads back about the value of playoff experience, and if that was more valuable than a potentially higher draft pick. I argues that since our pick order would not be too adversely affected (16th vs 14th I think), I argued that playoff experience would be more valuable than missing the playoffs for a better pick.

While I am still of that opinion, it occurs to me that the experience of the games we are in now is a heck of a lot more valuable than a single playoff game.

The colts were 1-5, and are knocking on the door to the playoffs. While we still need help, the things that are within this team's control are very clearly defined. The colts had to win against the texans, they did. The colts had to win against Dallas, they did. We must win against the Giants, we must win against the tacks.

The experience this team is gaining by achieving success when failure means our season is over is really as valuable, if not more valuable than a one-and-done playoff run.

There's a great deal of talk from players like TY and coaches like Reich, Eberflus and DeGuglielmo about players buying in to the system, the philosophy and culture being a big part of being able to go 7 of 8 during this stretch.

Imagine how that philosophy / culture will become part of this team if we are able to win 9 of 10 and get into the playoffs.

(dammit that fsking jags game)

sherck 12-19-2018 09:16 AM

Honestly, I am great with us being 7 of 8 instead of 8 of 8.

Losing to the Jags like we did (our offense was completely stimied by a GREAT JAX defensive performance), did more to motivate our guys then eeking out a 7-6 victory would have.

It reminded them that they are not perfect and just because you won 5 in a row does not mean you get to rest on your successes. You need to go earn them each and every week.

We got plain emarrassed by the Jags by being shutout. We then preceeded to turn around and beat two playoff contender teams who had been on hot streaks. I honestly don't know if that happens if we were not embarrassed in the JAX game.

If it means we miss out on the playoffs because of it, so be it. We were not supposed to make the playoffs this season anyway after starting 1 - 5.

Walk Worthy,

Pez 12-19-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherck (Post 99316)

We got plain emarrassed by the Jags by being shutout. We then preceeded to turn around and beat two playoff contender teams who had been on hot streaks. I honestly don't know if that happens if we were not embarrassed in the JAX game.

Walk Worthy,

This is a very good point, I agree.... I could imagine our mindset being very different going into the Texans game if we were on a 6-0 run vs a 5-1 run and getting blanked.

njcoltfan 12-19-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Walk Worthy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 99141)
Ravens play chargers and browns.... Steelers play saints and Bengals. I know we need help, wasnt trying to say otherwise.

I would really like to have either the Jets or Jags game be k !!!

Pez 12-24-2018 08:52 AM

We have to think that houston will not lose to the jags.

We also have to think that Tennessee has the advantage over us, home field, a chip on their shoulder and exactly the same stakes as us.

Luck4Reich 12-24-2018 08:55 AM

I have a feeling that Texans will lose to the Jags.

njcoltfan 12-24-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck (Post 100611)
I have a feeling that Texans will lose to the Jags.

From your mouth to God's ear

albany ed 12-24-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez (Post 100610)
We have to think that houston will not lose to the jags.

We also have to think that Tennessee has the advantage over us, home field, a chip on their shoulder and exactly the same stakes as us.

Lately, the Colts have been very strong on run defense, and not so good on pass defense. The Titans are a strong run offense, 5th in the league, but not so strong on passing offense, 29th in the league. That should bode well for the Colts.

Thorgrim 12-24-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albany ed (Post 100636)
Lately, the Colts have been very strong on run defense, and not so good on pass defense. The Titans are a strong run offense, 5th in the league, but not so strong on passing offense, 29th in the league. That should bode well for the Colts.

Especially with Mari-OTT dealing with a stinger.

Colts And Orioles 12-25-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

o

How the Colts Became 2018’s Biggest Breakout Team

(By Andy Benoit)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/24/in...us-andrew-luck

o

sherck 12-27-2018 10:19 AM

Good article by IndyStar on the players only meeting after being 1-5 (located here).

Sounds like that culture that Ballard was waiting on has shown up full force.

Even if we lose Sunday, I am so excited for the future of this team it is not even funny.

Walk Worthy,